Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What's my bike worth? Soma Juice steel frame 29er

2K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  mack_turtle 
#1 ·
LBS had a crazy trade-in value because there was no way to value it as a custom build (ironically, built by the same LBS).

• Soma Juice Candy Apple Green frame - 22"
• Raceface Atlas Blue handlebars
• Raceface Atlas Blue stem
• FSA Blue spacers
• Chris King Pewter headset
• Rockshox SID XX solo air fork w/remote lockout
• Stan's Arch EX wheels/hubs
• Brand new Maxxis DHF 2.35 front and Ardent Race 2.2 rear (replaced 5/1/2020)
• Raceface Evolve Limited Sterling 175mm crankset and BB
• Black Ops pedals
• Raceface 34T front chainring with blue Raceface bash guard (with green KCNC chainring bolts)
• Shimano XT 10sp cassette
• Shimano M785 XT brakes (Pads replaced on 5/1/2020)
• Shimano XT RT75 rotors
• Shimano M780 XT shifter
• Shimano Zee shadow+ rear derailleur (much shorter cage)
• Raceface Next SL Carbon seatpost
• Salsa Lip Lock seatpost clamp
• Jagwire Ripcord white derailleur cable
• ODI bolt on green grips
• White/Blue Most Ocelot seat (comfort seat shown)

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Bicycle wheel Wheel
Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Mode of transport Bicycle part
Blue Bicycle accessory Bicycle part Electric blue Bicycle
Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel
Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Mode of transport Bicycle part Spoke
Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Mode of transport Bicycle part Spoke
Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part Bicycle Bicycle accessory
Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Blue Bicycle part Spoke

See less See more
#2 ·
Definitely a sharp rig! It gets hard to value custom builds because personal preference comes into play - obviously someone with the exact same tastes will pay the most for your build, and vice versa.

IMO, the best way to value what you have is by cost of components, or cost of stock build plus upgrade value.

#3 ·
Those people are very hard to find that are willing to pay a million bucks for your ride. Especially because you have a better time of selling locally then shipping it, just adds more cost to the overall price.

That color green is not desirable to many people, that is why buying a plain color bike is easier to sell. Yesterday, I saw a lime green car for sale, what a way to limit the resale value. People dont want to pay "top dollar" for something and having to repaint it.

Add up the cost of each component, not including the bike frame.
Compare similarly spec'ed bicycles whether new or used.
Go from there.
You maybe waiting awhile to sell the bike, or it may sell right away. Depends on the price point.

#11 ·
So, yeah. You went to all the trouble to build it, why bother selling it. My initial reaction. Keep it. If you want another bike, deal with that on separate terms, don’t sell that one.

Now for the hard stuff. When you say 22” I assume that’s what Soma calls and XXL. Not many folks out there are going to ride that. I happen to have the brownstone (2 generations older than that one) Juice in XXL. While I’ve loved the bike, I haven’t ridden it in almost a year because I’ve had to send it to a builder to have a new set of dropouts put on the frame because the stock ones cracked. It’s a thing. And that frame has the same dropouts. So, I wouldn’t buy it. As far as what it’s worth? The answer is really not as much as you’d think, except that most shops don’t stock bikes that big, and most bikes from most manufacturers are sold out right now, so until 2021 models get released, there aren’t any more. So if someone is looking for a bike and needs that size, it’s probably going to merit a bit of a premium over its actual worth. The used bike market is brutal though. It’s why I don’t usually bother selling used bikes. I’d rather keep an old one around for a backup in case I break something on a new one, or simply need to have something serviced. Worth? It’s a nice steel hard tail. Depending on where you are and who you sell it to $650-$850.

#12 ·
So, yeah. You went to all the trouble to build it, why bother selling it. My initial reaction. Keep it. If you want another bike, deal with that on separate terms, don't sell that one.

Now for the hard stuff. When you say 22" I assume that's what Soma calls and XXL. Not many folks out there are going to ride that. I happen to have the brownstone (2 generations older than that one) Juice in XXL. While I've loved the bike, I haven't ridden it in almost a year because I've had to send it to a builder to have a new set of dropouts put on the frame because the stock ones cracked. It's a thing. And that frame has the same dropouts. So, I wouldn't buy it. As far as what it's worth? The answer is really not as much as you'd think, except that most shops don't stock bikes that big, and most bikes from most manufacturers are sold out right now, so until 2021 models get released, there aren't any more. So if someone is looking for a bike and needs that size, it's probably going to merit a bit of a premium over its actual worth. The used bike market is brutal though. It's why I don't usually bother selling used bikes. I'd rather keep an old one around for a backup in case I break something on a new one, or simply need to have something serviced. Worth? It's a nice steel hard tail. Depending on where you are and who you sell it to $650-$850.
All fair points. I am fortunately not in a spot where I'd have to sell it to get another bike. Appreciate the response!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.