Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

New fork for a novice rider

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  bojan4444 
#1 ·
started riding again after 30+ years (47 now), found a nice looking Kona 2012 Big Kahuna custom build in a local bike shop and started riding. It has a rigid Kona P2 fork (with Panacer 70x43 tires) and my age and lack of skills require some suspension. Mostly ride with my kids around the block on pavement or some light trails in local parks. May start riding other trails in 2-3 years, but nothing serious (no jumps or drops) or super harsh.

Looking at 3 things:
1. Suntour XCR LO-R 32 29” found for $69 on Ebay
2. ROCKSHOX JUDY SILVER TK 29", $169 on probikesupply
3. RockShox, RECON RL A2, 29'', Solo Air, $249 on Amazon

Can afford all 3, just wonder with how basic riding I do is it worth it as may not get fully used?

Thank you in advance.

#2 ·
The first is OK for bike paths and smooth trails. It lacks adjustable rebound damping and has plastic bushings instead of metal inside. Trails with lots of bumps will wear it out fast. It has a spring inside.
The Recon uses air to adjust the sag for your weight. It has a compression/rebound damper in one side.
But damping is rudimentary. It 'll last when riding trails.
Check the dropouts to make sure your wheel fits. And the head tube on your bike for straight 1-1/8" or tapered.
If used make sure you're getting a long enough steerer tube on the fork for your head tube.

#3 ·
thank you for posting the video,very helpful.

Head tube looks tapered tome, my steerer tube is really long (picture below), I am 6'3" so i am only considering uncut forks,will most likely go new fork because of it. May add a ring or two and don't cut it at all as I like the wheel slightly high.

How do I know which dropouts will fit the wheel - is this QR? Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part Spoke Bicycle wheel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.