Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Need help from the professionals

567 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  matt4x4 
#1 ·
Hey guys! Recently I've been looking for a fat bike and it boiled down to surly ict or panorama torngat, I know surly is very popular and has a solid reputation, however, I just found someone who said he will sell me a complete panorama torngat this years model for 1250 usd (1750 cad) shipped! No fees and he said still has the companies 5 year warranty he said that there are a few chips by the chain stay cause forgot to put the protective stuff. He said it's in amazing condition.

1) what do you guys think about the price? Compared to the retail of 1800usd (2500 cad because crazy taxes in Canada) and frame plus components worth the price

2) I ride trails frequently so how do these components compare to other brands like surly salsa etc for single track purposes, and jumps and other track stuff.

3) would it be better to just get the surly ict frame (which I found for pretty cheap 560usd (800cad) and build it up with shimano deoretektro hydronic brakes?

Let me know!

#5 ·
You might get more response on the fat bike forum. Warranties are usually are not transferable. The big question is the bike the right size for you? You would need to see a ton of photos to judge for yourself on condition. If you bought if use some pay service incase you need to dispute something. No idea on the price ,you could check bike blue book to se what they think it's worth or Ebay to see what stuff is selling for. In general you walk out of a shop with a brand new bike and tried to sell it ,you would need to take off at least 30% of retail. Components wear/ break, on bikes that are priced near each other the parts are going around the same quality. Unless you have parts laying around , it's usually cheaper to buy a complete bike . Even if you do doesn't mean they will work with the frame. You should price out what all the parts would cost top build a bike, don't forget tools .

#6 ·
The warranty is not a question, ive asked panorama cycles already, and the condition as i've mention is in nearly new condition which i know as well except for the 2 chips by the chain stay. my question is more of basic nature in the sense that i would like to know your opinions based on the facts ive provided above is

1) what do you guys think about the price? Compared to the retail of 1800usd (2500 cad because crazy taxes in Canada) and frame plus components worth the price

2) I ride trails frequently so how do these components compare to other brands like surly salsa etc for single track purposes, and jumps and other track stuff.https://www.panoramacycles.com/en/product/torngat-nx/

3) would it be better to just get the surly ict frame (which I found for pretty cheap 560usd (800cad) and build it up with shimano deoretektro hydronic brakes?

#7 ·
I know nothing of fat bikes. With that said, I've never heard of the other brand. Surly bikes are very durabile, the company has a very good reputation, and a cult following. I'd go for the surly. Have you looked or posted in the Surly or fat bike trading/selling facebook groups what you're looking for? Surly and Salsa trader is one and I know they have a fat bike group too.

The other bike is trail worthy. The NX components, BB7 brakes work well, and sun ringle make solid products, but I know nothing about resell value and durability.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.