Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Help me Identify these random parts please

458 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Idawho 
#1 ·
I got a new bike a few years ago with GX Eagle, Pike, Reverb dropper, Race face wheelset, Guide brakes and Debonair shock. These parts were in the accompanying bag with extra spokes, zip ties, hub adapters, stickers, etc. Anyone have a clue what they're for? The red aluminum piece is threaded on both ends. The black plastic part has holes on the 3 sides you cant see.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
The black thing is a spacer that goes in the brake lever bar clamp if you don't also use the brake clamp for the shifter. The clamp screw goes through it.

The red thing is pretty handy. It has left hand threads on one end and right hand threads on the other so if you put a brake line on each end and rotate the red thing it'll screw into both. The idea is to attach the new hose to the old routed hose and push the new hose through using the old hose to guide it. You can pull gently on the old hose, but you don't want to pull the connection apart, so pushing the new hose is better.

You can use it for cable housing too, but can't really pull at all.

If you don't have one of those red thingies, you can put a 1.5' length of brake cable halfway into each hose to keep them aligned as you push the new hose through guiding it with the old hose.

#5 ·
The black thing is a spacer that goes in the brake lever bar clamp if you don't also use the brake clamp for the shifter. The clamp screw goes through it.

The red thing is pretty handy. It has left hand threads on one end and right hand threads on the other so if you put a brake line on each end and rotate the red thing it'll screw into both. The idea is to attach the new hose to the old routed hose and push the new hose through using the old hose to guide it. You can pull gently on the old hose, but you don't want to pull the connection apart, so pushing the new hose is better.

You can use it for cable housing too, but can't really pull at all.

If you don't have one of those red thingies, you can put a 1.5' length of brake cable halfway into each hose to keep them aligned as you push the new hose through guiding it with the old hose.
Thanks! That mystery was solved quickly. I might actually use both. I've kind of compromised on ideal shifter placement vs. ideal brake placement using the matchmaker. Perhaps I need to go back to 2 clamps. I already did that on the left with my dropper lever. Everyone seems to rave about having a clean bar with this type of clamp but I'm not sold. Maybe I have disproportionate hands or something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.