Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Newbie first mtb

348 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  gwny 
#1 ·
I'm looking to buy my first bike (recently moved from the city to the suburbs). Looking for something I can start riding trails on but also just casually around town with my kids since I will only have one bike for the time being.

I'm not overly price sensitive, but don't want to buy a crazy expensive bike as a newbie. Around $1,500 +/-.

From some online research, I'm considering a hardtail and looking at the Kona Honzo, Specialized Fuse Comp, Santa Cruz Chameleon. That's just from Googling. With COVID it's not easy to just pop over to a store to test drive bikes to see what feels best.

I debated a hybrid like a Canyon Pathlite, but it seems like those are mediocre at everything. I'm not planning long rides around town, so feel a mountain bike should be fine for that and will be very good for starting to get into some trail riding. Over time, I'd probably get a road bike and a full suspension assuming I get into it, but for now a hardtail seems like the way to go for just one bike,

Welcome any thoughts/suggestions anyone has.

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
There is a forum for new riders here. Go to all forums . beginners. Test rides are very important ,that's where you find out if the bike fits you, and where everyone should start. When looking at bikes say around $1000 ,they will be very much alike. If you find more than one bike you like go with the dealer you like better .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.