Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Anyone buy a new bike every year?

4K views 71 replies 36 participants last post by  BansheeRune 
#1 ·
It seems financially foolish, but then I was thinking about how much I've spent in the last year or so on maintenance and parts (I'm 180lb and ride heavy).

New wheel - $350
Tires - $120
Brake pads - $20
Pivot Bearing replacement - $130
New Chain - $30

Am also due to have my suspension serviced. So about $650 total.

I figure I could get a ~$5k bike on closeout for 35-40% off (around $3,500) and sell it a year later for maybe $3k. All the parts would be new and under warranty so I wouldn't anticipate much maintenance costs at all if any. My only concern would be if the bike gets stolen or I crash and it breaks. Then I'd be out quite a bit.

Maybe I'm just trying to justify buying a new bike but anyone buy bikes like this? How does it work out?

#5 ·
Replace the pivot bearings yourself and save $100, and if you're buying a new $350 wheel every year you're doing something wrong. Also $650 for suspension service seems high. I just had Push do my fork and it was $250, and $50 of that was the LBS charge to handle shipping and packing.

Buying a bike and flipping it every year may work, but it depends on your market. Around here everyone seems to be asking a ton for their used stuff, butI don't know how much people are actually getting. Friend of mine just bought a new 5010 for his kid. He tried used but was able to get a new model for close to what someone was asking for an older used model.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

#8 ·
I try to buy 2-3 per year, but damn it gets spendy!

I love trying new things. Wether it's components or frame geometry I want to test them all! I build them as fast as I can afford.

So Yes, buy it, ride it, sell it, buy another, ride it, keep it, or not. Whatever you're into. I stopped tracking dollars or having a budget years ago. I want what I want.

#32 ·
I try to buy 2-3 per year, but damn it gets spendy!

I love trying new things. Wether it's components or frame geometry I want to test them all! I build them as fast as I can afford.

So Yes, buy it, ride it, sell it, buy another, ride it, keep it, or not. Whatever you're into. I stopped tracking dollars or having a budget years ago. I want what I want.
This.... there are essentially three things in life to NEVER scrimp on:

a) Family
b) Health(MTB)
c) Hobbies(MTB)

#11 ·
I do a lot of wrenching myself, but the mechanic/owner at my LBS is amazing, can do the work better and faster and is very reasonable. So I'm always willing to take the bike in for work, other than sometimes they get backed up and it takes a bit to get the bike back.

I don't think I would come out ahead $ wise if I bought new every year or two, but it may be close enough for myself where it would be worth it.

#12 ·
you also have to account for that if you bike needs pads, new tires, bearings are gone, new chain it will pretty much push away any potential buyer, while things don’t really need to be new they need to be in decent condition otherwise you are not getting much for your used bike.

I don’t think you can do without putting more money into it every year

#13 ·
you also have to account for that if you bike needs pads, new tires, bearings are gone, new chain it will pretty much push away any potential buyer, while things don't really need to be new they need to be in decent condition otherwise you are not getting much for your used bike.

I don't think you can do without putting more money into it every year
Frankly, if I were looking at a used rig, either it' s mint or I go new with a warranty. Used would have a hellacious depreciation on it to be remotely attractive.

#15 ·
Everyone that I know that does this either has a real pro deal or inside deal where they get a hot, sought after bike at the "big" discount. Ride it for most of the season and then sell it while people are still keen on the model. Very fast turn around and never time put into any customization or personal refinement (though a few will pull parts and shelve them to put back before the resell)... so mostly people who are satisfied with the way bikes are spec'd from the mfgr.

#28 ·
Everyone that I know that does this either has a real pro deal or inside deal where they get a hot, sought after bike at the "big" discount. Ride it for most of the season and then sell it while people are still keen on the model. .
^^^this^^^

Bike manufacturers offer great discounts to shop employees. That is their best ambassador for selling their bikes. Nowadays the big four make you watch tons or webinars and take tests at the end of each (short) webinar. But you can save thousands below shop cost on a high end bike. You can even make a profit when you sell it. I started working in a shop in the 1990s and never quit for that reason. I'm part owner of a shop now. One guy at our shop has a mechanical engineering degree and another has a doctorate in electrical engineering. They both work Saturdays once a month, the day everyone else wants off. I know a few other 'old timers' around our area.

#16 ·
Unless you're a N+1 rider there is a timing problem you have to deal with. Best time to sell a used bike is spring time, except maybe this year. And the best time to buy a close out bike is in the Fall, even better in the winter. Means you would be bikeless during the Summer.

#17 ·
I would hate mountain biking if I was constantly thinking of how my actions would impact the resale value of it. Every rock kicked up=$, every crash=$$. No thanks. May as well ride it on a rail trail.

Also, no reason to customize it go get that great feel...new grips, better dropper, etc. You'll never make your money back on those and who knows if it'll carry over to the next bike.

#23 ·
On average, I do. But it's got nothing to do with keeping costs down...

As previously, the only people I know who do what you're suggesting are people who work in the trade, buy at cost and sell just before the following spring, for around what they paid. I couldn't do that even if I had the opportunity, I get for too attached to my own bikes...

#25 ·
in my bmx racing days i would replace my bikes yearly. i would generally get about half of what i put into it. that plus about 6 months of paper route money would allow me to build my new bike. i certainly had fun doing it, but i definitely spent way more money than i would get in return. considering all the money lost, there were a few i wish i still had a hold of. they would be worth tons now, but i'd have no interest in selling...

#31 ·
Because I've gone through 25 bikes in the last eleven years, I buy 2.3 bikes per year.

I keep some of them longer than others but my oldest is only four years old.

It's expensive but I like spending money on bicycles and parts. That's why they call it a hobby.

I would also say that, despite what the grouches say, the quality, aesthetics, durability, and performance of bikes has improved drastically over the years.

I don't usually buy complete bikes, actually, but start with a frame and build them up myself. So I've probably bought 15 complete bikes and 10 frames.

#35 ·
I have for the last several years with the exception of this year. The reason being, I get pro-deals on some brands and if I buy and put a few more bucks in I can upgrade levels the next year. I can only sell them for what I paid after a year. So someone gets a great deal on a bike when I sell it. Not this year though!

#36 ·
Bikes I have sold after a year, sometimes less...usually because I ride them the least, and these were practically new and worth the most.

Breezer Repack Pro
Santa Cruz Heckler
Giant Trance Advanced 2
Cannondale Trigger Carbon 2

I just sold the Trigger to fund the Middle Child Build, even though the Trigger is ultimately a better bike, but I want a fairly mid/high end build that I can transfer from frame to frame, and the Trigger was too good to butcher.

Right now, I can't think about selling any of the bikes in my sig, maybe the Dragonslayer 26+ Pro since it is new and hasn't been ridden yet, I bought it as a closeout sale and always wanted one, but really don't need it.

Gman

#38 ·
I like the guys who buy a new bike every year. They are usually the guys that dont ride much too. Cashed up midlife crissis guys that need to look the part. All the gear and no idea!

I buy that bearly used fruit as F%^K bike for 30-40% of its retail price.

#42 ·
In the late 80's and early 90's when I worked in and owned shops, I would buy a new bike every year below cost on pro-deal and sell the previous year's bike for what the new one cost me. I always had friends waiting for my new bike to come in so they could buy my prior year's model.

Since I got out of the industry, I've found that I don't really care about riding the newest bike anymore. Now I look for those lightly used older bikes at crazy low prices, and will usually only buy if I think I can still flip it at a profit if I don't care for it.

#44 ·
It is just an asking price, the seller wants a million bucks for their bicycle, while the potential buyer wants to purchase the bicycle for $1.00.

Its the art of haggling.

Keep an eye on the bicycle and see how long the current posting's been active. The seller will sometimes delete the current ad and post up a fresh ad for the same bicycle. Keep an eye on it and see. Then you can low ball the mf.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.