Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Going on my first ever trail ride tomorrow with my new bike. Any suggestions?

1K views 29 replies 25 participants last post by  Fajita Dave 
#1 ·
Back story: I'm 61, an intermediate road rider, and live in Central NJ. During the stay-at-home season, I've hiked a bunch of nearby trails that are shared with bikers. I decided I wanted to give trail riding a try and bought a Salsa Timberjack 27.5+. I picked it up and took it home today.

I ordered pedals and shoes, which will be here by Friday. But I'd like to take it out tomorrow for a little local trail ride using the flat pedals that come on the bike.

The terrain isn't terribly hilly or bumpy but it will be muddy.

I rode the bike about two minutes today. My only "feedback" is the thing feels very big, which of course it is compared to my road bike.

Any riding hints you can share for my first time out are appreciated.

#3 ·
Don't try to do too much ,time, distance or trails. Find some dirt roads/ double track /easy single track. Maybe try to keep the ride to around an hour, I kinda thought of it like, 3 or 4 miles of road biking equals 1 mile of mountain biking and if it's single track it's more like 5 or 6 miles to one. Be ready with a spare tube and pump ,water ,and maybe a snack .If can go with someone that knows the trails that would great ,other wise let someone know where you will be and what time you expect to be back. Like DJ said have fun.

#6 ·
Not sure where you are going. Then southern part of Central NJ has 2 riding trail systems at Brendan Byrne State Park as well as Wharton State Forest. The trails in the pine barrens tend to not have the steep terrain and rocks that you find in the northern part of the state such as Ringwood, thus are easier for beginners. These trails can be found on the TrailForks website. You can the free app for the phone and download a map,

#7 ·
Great for you!!! Great bike choice.

Watch your heart rate. Exertion levels are much higher imo for short bursts.

Nausea can be an impending heart problem.

Get familiar with operating the bike and watch videos on riding techniques. Gmbn is good.

Finally lots of little breaks. It’s easy to crash when the legs are wobbly and we are tired.

#9 ·
I've never lived in NJ or whatever.. but as far as riding when it is muddy... it kinda depends on where you are. I'm from the Pacific Northwest if you waited for it to be not muddy at all you'd never ride.. the environment is such that to some extend it doesn't matter if people ride in the mud...

I unfortunately have found myself living in exile in Southern California for sometime now... and here it is basically a war crime to ride muddy trails...

if in doubt ask around the local bike shop.... for what is the consensus on what is ok to ride mud wise..

nice bike.. have fun be ~safe

#12 ·
If you ski it's practically the same thing....you will realize you're getting better when you are focusing down the trail instead of on what's directly in front of you.

The only other advice I would give coming from strictly road riding is that while not terribly common, mechanical issues and flats are a lot more common than they are on the road. Have some basic stuff, multi tool, tube, pump or CO2, etc. Eventually you just kind of learn your lessons, but even your first time out you should have some basic ability to deal with unexpected issues or it could ruin your ride.

#13 ·
So many variables that it’d be impossible to address them all here but that’s part of the fun of learning the differences between road riding & off-road riding. As others have said, take it easy and have fun.

One thing I’ll mention that can add to the joy: be prepared. As someone above mentioned, bring a spare tube, frame pump, water, snack. If your tires aren’t already set up tubeless and you live in an area that features blackberries or goat heads or such, I highly recommend converting to tubeless to enjoy the benefits of sealant, which plugs thorn holes before you even know they’re there.

Also, a common mistake among those who’re new to mountain biking (especially those who come from the road) is running too high tire pressure. I’m 210# before gear and I typically run 20# front wheel and 23# rear wheel in 2.6” tires. Far less than that in 3” tires. Not only will low tire pressure improve traction, it’ll also keep you from bouncing off obstacles like roots & rocks. Tubeless wheels help here as well because if you accidentally go a bit too low while seeking your Goldilocks pressure, it’s harder (darn near impossible, in fact) to pinch flat while running sealant.

Enjoy!
=sParty

#18 ·
Let me add, I don't think MSU means avoiding mud pits on the trail by riding around them, if it means widening the trail, as if often does. Rather, give the trails enough time to dry out before riding. If you do come upon the occasional muddy spot, I believe in riding through it. For spots that are particularly troublesome, someone responsible for trail maintenance may decide to fortify or reroute the trail.

#16 ·
Back story: I'm 61.....Any riding hints you can share for my first time out are appreciated.
Coming off the road bike required I learn:
-to improve my mindfulness, unlike on long stretches of open road, if you allow your mind to lose focus on the trail you will crash.
-crashing hurts
-realize there is no shame in walking things you can not ride
- there is no honor in making things harder than they need to be; take the easy line
-road fitness helps in the dirt but it takes saddle time to get fit for the woods
- you will bleed
- you will have fun, even on the days where you don't feel like riding

#19 ·
New bike? Keep a multi-tool in your pocket instead of your pack. You can stop quickly to make adjustments and tweaks to the bike fit (brake levers/shifter/grips/bars/seat angle). Or god forbid your cleats loosen up!!!!!!

#20 ·
The stock pedals that come on bikes can be a bit dangerous because your foot can slip off easily.

Riding classes are a great way to safely enter the sport.

Beware, once you start down this rabbit hole, it quickly becomes extremely addicting.

#23 ·
Omg armoring up for basic riding that's hilarious. Like the kids I see with full face helmets only riding green trails on the most basic entry bike the LBS had. Just no need for all that. In all my years my knees have never taken a bad hit. Unless your riding techy, rocky trails, armor is just an annoyance.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

#28 ·
I do not judge and people can ride with whatever protective gear they want. I see kids riding with full head helmet, ill give thema thumbs up and usually comment, cool helmet!
OP is first time trail ride and is 61, i give him full thumbs up and recommend pads. At the least elbow and knee sleeves with light 3DO type padding. And gloves. Im 53, been mtb riding 30+ years, you dont heal as fast anymore, and no matter how good you are still occasionally take a spill. Often doing the stupidist easy stuff because youre not paying attention.

#29 ·
Oh, and on specific riding tips, when it gets rought, get up off the saddle. Road riding u get used to hammering in the saddle, mtb get used to floating off the saddle and keeping your arms and legs supple to act as suspension, theyre more sophisticated than any $10,000 full suspension bike.
Brake before you need to. Coming to a rough section or/and turn, brake early and ease off as you hit section. Braking hard during rough section make it rougher and the bike will bounce around worse. Likewise braking during a turn usually makes the bike want to stand up and go straight. You might have a feel for that from road riding already.

#30 ·
I grew up in Woodbridge, NJ but didn't explore many trails. Did plenty of dirtbike riding in various illegal areas and Raceway Park's motocross tracks.

A lot of areas are sandy and drain well, I wouldn't worry about riding them when wet. Pure clay is like riding on axle grease when it's wet so be careful of that. If there is a local trail organization I'd contact them if it's ok to ride trails when they're wet or ask the bike shop.

For riding tips, start somewhere easy and keep it short. Always look where you want to go. Don't fixate on the rock or the tree that you don't want to hit because then you'll most likely ride straight into it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.