Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Just a howdy from the Yay Area

503 views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  KingOfOrd 
#1 ·
MTBR sez I am to intro myself, so howdy. SF Bay Area here, frequent rider of trails in SF, in the Headlands, and surrounding regions. My pal @Shekky got me on here. I did a lot of rigid-frame stuff in the '90s on my old rockhopper, which has since been chopped and reconfigured as a hardcore rough-urban street freerider. Then I took a long break from trails due to some weird saddle injuries and ended up w/ a Hobson Easyseat on my street rider, which was my exclusive ride for more than a decade.

I got back into trail riding in late 2017 when I rented a demo from Elevation out on Judah St in SF. It was a Norco and awesome, I was blown away by the slack geometry and dropper post. Since then I ended up buying a 2016 Marin Mt Vision that was on sale ... it's burly AF and super spongy/responsive on the shocks. It is very inefficient on longer hauls across the Golden Gate Bridge and the Headlands fire roads, but it rules on the steep technical stuff in the regional parks and on Mt Sutro in SF.

I recently put a super-narrow (2.1") rear tire on w/ a 2.3 up front, 27.5 wheels, and now it runs much faster, and does the XC and rough singletrack pretty darn well. Still not sure about the narrow tire's performance in more gnarly terrain. My next bike I might go XC or even gravel and move the 2.1 to it, and then get the Marin fitted with 2.4 or more up front and 2.25 or 2.3 in the back.

Anyway, enough from me. I ride for joy and exercise and big views, and it's been such a gift to get back on trails in general. PEACE

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.