Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 bike vs 2 bikes dilemma

953 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Nat 
#1 ·
Hi, I live in Denmark and I currently ride a YT Jeffsy 29er AL base from 2019, so the old geo with that 67 HTA and 140mm fork. I am 190'ish so around 6'3 for you americans.

I have been thinking about buying the Privateer 161 (actually even reserved one) and keeping the Jeffsy, but I am a bit afraid that the privateer would be way too much bike for most of the trails if not all. The thought of having 2 MTBs does also lead me to thinking that one of them will be neglected, since I do both have studies and a small job on the side.

I am therefor looking at maybe using the money I put aside for the privatter and selling the jeffsy to fund a solid allrounder trail bike, like a Norco optic or maybe a bit more travel like the Pole Evolink 140 or Norco Sight.

I do want a steep STA and a slacker HTA than what I currently have and I would greatly appricieate any input

#3 ·
If you like to ride a variety of different terrains, then it makes sense to have two bikes, each with a specific purpose. Yes, one will get used more than the other. If you can find one bike that handles every type of terrain that you like to roll on, then stick with one bike. So, if you go with two bikes, they should not be similar.

#4 ·
Why did you want the privateer in the first place? Where were you finding the Jeffsy inadequate? From reviews I've read, the Privateer is very much an out and out race bike, so if you aren't leaving Belgium to ride the big mountains, it's almost certainly going to be too much bike for most trails.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.