Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

New old chain install question

2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  MattiThundrrr 
#1 ·
I've got a new (old) chain that I'm going to be putting on my Ritchey. Curious if it's just as simple as pressing the pin back in or if there are certain steps I need to take to make sure the connection doesn't fail.

I already reinstalled the old chain once & haven't had any issues so I'm guessing it's not a big deal.

I assume these chains were made prior to connector pins?

Attachments

See less See more
#11 ·
Gorgeous bike!

To address Jims comment?

No, 9 speed link won't work on 8. Or 10 on 9, etc.

As speeds increase, chain width, decreases, right alongside quick link width.

Wanna carry an "emergency link" that'll work for everything? Get a Sram 8 speed one. It'll work ion 11 and 12 even, to get you out of the woods. It shouldn't be considered permanent, at all.

The chain in question is wider still, so no, a quick link isn't made that'll work, and since the pins protrude more than on modern stuff, there's ample room to do the procedure that was done, and have it be successful, long term.

#3 ·
You're a genius! Never thought of that. Thanks!

Probably should have worded my question a bit better. I guess I'm curious if these old chains have a specific connector pin similar to shimano or if any pin will do.

#6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the tips everybody. I did get a stiff link, made sure the pin was even. Just took a small screwdriver & twisted gently to relieve some pressure. 100% now.

The new chain is on & as soon as it's been warm for a few days I'll take it out for a long test ride.

Old one measured a little over .5 New one is a solid .00

Attachments

#9 ·
Make sure to bring a chain tool with you on rides, I never had good luck pressing pins in. I wonder if an 8sp quick-link would fit on that?, the Sram quick-links are really tough in my experience, and I think we used a 9sp link on a 8sp chain a few years ago during a trail-repair, and it worked.

#12 ·
Newer chains are a lot different, those old Sedisport chains didn't have peened pins and joining them by pressing the pin in is the proper way to do it. I've installed hundreds of them that way and ridden many miles on them with zero problems, never have broken one.

#10 ·
That's been my experience as well with 9 speed on the early 2000's. Mostly my reason for asking. I remember getting my first park chain tool and breaking my first chain. Thought I was amazing when I fixed the chain only to have it break literally every ride after that. Started carrying quick after my 5th or 6th ride in a row with a chain break.

These old chains do have extra long pins though, so that should help and it's only going to see light duty with a hill climb close to home. But yes I will bring the ol trusty park tool jic. 15 miles out ain't the time to start walking.

I might have an old 8spd quick link around, if I find it I'll test on the old chain.

Here are some pics of the bike, they've been around.

Attachments

#13 ·
So I took it out on a test ride. Everything worked
(mostly)! I didn't die. Always a plus. (Trail side bars were closed...damn.)

New issue. Chain skips in the smallest gear only under moderate+ torque.

I'm posting some pics on my freehub vs a new one to have a good side by side for me & you. Phone won't work. Apparently the smallest (highest) gear is worn enough to not mesh well with the new chain. Yipee!

Tonight I'll double check the hanger to make sure it's properly aligned but I'm guessing I already did that when I rebuilt it.

Aside from the above this is my 1st ride after installing the cranks, brakes, levers, pads & updated cables & housing & grips. Nothing came loose, new pads for the Mafac's work great. Grips feel rad although one has a small tear I'll be filling with RTV. Anyway, love the bike, can't wait to get this resolved so it's 100% ready.

Attachments

#15 ·
Yep I think you're right. Randomly found a new old school replacement for a better than sane price. Park removal tool coming. Will be soaking with penetrating oil until the new parts get here. Hoping for a smooth & easy removal. Guessing I might have to get a longer bolt & some washers to secure the tool properly when in the vice.

Attachments

#16 ·
Well I mangled the old cassette trying to remove it, one of the 2 tabs already had a pretty deep gouge and I made is significantly worse.

Local bike shop had to take apart the old one & vice the internals to remove it.

But we're back in action, old one was shot. New one works like a dream!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.