Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Never-Ridden 1998 RockHopper... What to do?

4K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  paramount3 
#1 ·
This bike has been hanging on a wall since 1998. It has never been ridden. In fact, it's never been pedaled, sat on... nothing. I got it for my wife as a Christmas present. Winter... moved... had a kid... moved... had another kid... Poof! it's 2020.

I can't imagine it has a value to anyone wanting to ride it. But maybe Specialized would want for their HQ in the lobby museum? A Specialized dealer? Yeah, I know... that's why it has just been hanging on the wall(s) for over 21 years.

Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Wheel Tire

Any ideas? Leave it another couple decades and see if Specialized is still in business?

See less See more
#3 ·
Needs to stay on a wall but not your wall. Public place like a Spec dealer or a bike-themed restaurant / brewpub, etc. It’s perfect; don’t soil it now — that would be a tragic. Either donate it to a homeless person or donate it to a business that’ll display it (much preferred). But don’t ride it. It’s still a virgin. Once its virginity is gone, it’s never coming back.
=sParty

#4 ·
Shoot man, that bike is amazing. I'd ride it. Perhaps there is a little value in it's immaculate condition, but it's still old, but not quite old enough, school, so there really isn't a huge market for it. I'd guess you would be lucky to get $300 bucks for it. Ride it as is, convert it to a graveller, make it an urban assault bike, whatever, just get it off the wall! If you do sell, I know a guy...

#5 ·
I just can't see riding it - not after surviving this long with zero miles (or feet) on it. I'd love to see it as a decoration in shop or Spec's lobby.

#7 ·
What do you mean it has no value to anyone wanting to ride it? Its got the most value that way! It's not particularly noteworthy vintage so even though in pristine condition, not really desired as a museum piece. It's a fine bike meant to be ridden.
C'mon, were encouraging the guy in other thread to ride his beautiful '70-80's Ritchey and that is a far more notable bike.

#8 ·
I wouldn't ride it. What's the point? It is just a 20+ year old generic aluminum frame rigid mountain bike. It could just as easily be an unridden Trek. Ride the bike for a meh result?

Now if it were something, just for example, like an unridden '98 Bontrager Race Lite you would be riding a unique vintage bike by a great builder that not everybody has experienced. If you hadn't ridden one, that would be worth the ride.

Compared to the Rockhopper, the Ritchey is another animal. Limited hand made frame by a great frame builder. That is a once, or more since the person owns it, in a lifetime experience. A precious few people will ever have the chance to dive into corners, climb out of the saddle and then fly down a descent.

As for the Rockhopper the best scenario would be to find someone who always wanted that bike but never got it. I'm not saying that would be easy, but can you imagine how that might make someone's day, year, or whatever.

Realistically, contacting Specialized to see if they are interested, or can refer you to someone in their network that will appreciate the bike would be the route I would go.

John

#12 ·
It's cool that it's remained unridden but yeah, it's a mid level late 90's bike. It's never going to be super valuable by any standards unless you value it hanging there.

Actually, never mind. Keep that sucker on the wall. If your wife ever wants a bike again, you've got proof she doesn't need it.

But when your kids are old enough to ride it, they'll have a blast!

#16 ·
A couple of years ago I picked up an almost unridden 1992 Bianchi Ibex off of Craigslist for $75. Original gumwall tires with nubs still on, no wear. I also received the owner's manual when I picked up the bike. Gave the vintage suntour thumbshifters, 7 speed wheels, and most drivetrain parts to a friend who likes that stuff. We put on a nine speed drivetrain and made it a spare bike for my ex-wife. Then it became my daughter's college bike after hers was stolen. Too nice to be locked outside--but better to go out in battle than to cower unridden.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.