Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

first FS, $1600 to spend

2K views 28 replies 19 participants last post by  H0mestar 
#1 ·
I'm in the market for my first full suspension bike, and want to drop about $1600 on it (willing to pay a bit more if its worth it). I mainly trail ride (the rockier, rougher, and twistier it gets, the happier I am). I want disc brakes, and enough travel for decent drops and rough terrain (but not overkill), and lots of bang per buck. I'm considering something like a Gary fisher Cake (3/4/DLX), Specialized FSR XC (Comp/Pro), or Jamis Dakar (XLT/XLT 1.0/XC). I'm still open to any other brands.

Any ideas?

#13 ·
#17 ·
hmmm

I checked out specs on all those (the Iron Horse is very impressive at that price). I'm going to the big city (Denver fyi) for a whole day to look at bikes. I will be sure to check all of those out. The sale at Supergo goes to the 25th =)

#20 ·
=(

ya I looked the extra 20% off ends tonite. but I'm not going to buy a bike a havn't looked at in person (not to mention I don't know exactly what size I need). wish I had done this sooner now

#21 ·
Well, if it helps, I'm 6'1" with a 33.5" inseam, and demoed and purchased the 21" frame after spending the last two years on a 19" Hollowpoint.

But I understand where you're coming from and have mail ordered too large a frame in my recent past, which resulted in a bunch of unnecessary complications and shipping expense. Probably better off safe than sorry...

#22 ·
so the question is...is the Hollowpoint still the best deal at $1750 (still looked pretty good to me at that price, though im still bummed about missing the extra 20%)

#25 ·
Thats a sweet deal, you really ought to jump on it. I guess if you do miss the coupon, you can always give Supergo a call and see if they will still honor it. Be sure to make it a point that it is in both yours and their best interest if you are completely sure about the sizing before you buy. That will of course save you the hassle of shipping the bike back, but it saves them the hassle too. If they really want your business, they'd be stupid not to honor the deal (unless of course they are losing money at that price).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.