Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

My Cannondales,..

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  MattiThundrrr 
#1 ·
New guy here: hullo to everyone.
As a service tech my job takes me pretty much everywhere and I meet an enormous cross section of people. I also come across the odd great deal, both of which are in the photos below. Both are 1990 SM 600s and both were found languishing in someones garage, looking for some TLC. The orange bike, which I picked up for $50, started out with the same color scheme as the other but the finish was so badly roached after years of abuse that it begged for a new coat of paint. It was pretty much intact but as I had a bunch of Deore M510 parts laying around and a set of black brakes and thumbies, orange seemed to be a natural choice. The end result is what you see here and I have to admit that it makes a great road bike: it soaks up Winnipegs lousy streets without a complaint and comes back for more(it's my daily ride). The black bike came around about a year later when I did a call in a private residence and found that one under some old lawn chairs. The owner said that he'd tried selling it a couple of times but had no takers as it was a large(22 inch) frame and there were few people tall enough to ride it comfortably. After doing the call we arrange a swap involving my labor for the bike, and so I threw that one in the back of my service van. It's pretty much bone stock:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome!

Nice old American aluminum there.

So, this forum is mostly, about old school bikes, which yours are certainly in the era of.

That said, more love for period correct builds that require chasing down obscure parts etc, (part of the fun and discussion) than for slapping last years stuff on and going modern.

Personally? Let's discuss your pics. We wanna see the minutia, the details, not your whole yard.... :)

#4 ·
Well, you could try the Cannondale board, or the 26er board, but honestly, here works, likely *best*.

First and foremost, passion is key. If you love them, and enjoy tinkering, all good.

Others have done "resto mods" here, it's not a hard fast rule or anything.

Post close ups, post ride shots, post questions about whatever.

Just know if you make one of them a period correct restoration type project, you'll get more responses.

FWIW, Cannondale isn't an overly fawned over brand here, but I'm an east coaster, and grew up working in shops surrounded by them, so I speak it, just fine...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.