Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Fox DHX Air

2K views 31 replies 27 participants last post by  SSINGA 
#1 ·
Check out what the UPS guy gave us today! The 7.5" x 2.0" we got today weights 415 grams (vs 795g for the same DHX with a 450# steel spring), so it's almost a full pound weight savings. Sounds like we're going to get every size, including 9.5 x 3.0 :D

See less See more
#5 ·
El Chingon said:
James,

I'm thinking about running one of those on a Turner 6-pack. I weigh 230 lbs. Do you think the 3 to 1 compression ratio will be a problem for that shock at my weight?
Although at this point I'm not totally positive, I think the max pressure in one of those shocks is supposed to be around 275#, and we usually recommend starting out at about 90% of rider weight on most 3:1 bikes, so I'd guess you'll be fine. The one shock we had show up didn't have an owner's manual, so I can't give you much concrete info just yet.

#7 · (Edited)
damn, can't a brotha get a 9x3.0?

is the shock and piggy back overall a more compact unit that the traditional DHX?

james, will they make a 9x2.75? might have to try that on my racelink - if the i2i is right and it is compact enough to fit in the linkage cubby-hole of my bike.

can you break out the ruler and measure the girth of that bad boi ?

thanks for posting!!!

joel

#8 ·
Hey James will there be much price difference over the normal DHX? Also, how would you think it would perform on a bike like a V10 as compared to a normal DHX or 5th coil?

#11 ·
Master_Jako said:
why is an air shock on a DH/freeride bike not a good idea? are they weaker then a coil shock? if theres not much of a differance, i would consider buying it over a regular DHX.
well think of all that air compressing and putting 300 or so psi on the internals without a coil to support it. generally not a good idea but this could change things...

#12 · (Edited)
cdub said:
well think of all that air compressing and putting 300 or so psi on the internals without a coil to support it. generally not a good idea but this could change things...
That's not the issue.

The biggest problem is that air shocks can suffer from intense heat buildup over long periods of use. Who knows, maybe Fox is working on this problem for the new DH air shocks. But generally it is inherent to the design.

#18 ·
James @ Go-Ride said:
Check out what the UPS guy gave us today! The 7.5" x 2.0" we got today weights 415 grams (vs 795g for the same DHX with a 450# steel spring), so it's almost a full pound weight savings. Sounds like we're going to get every size, including 9.5 x 3.0 :D
Sweet, so for those on the short bus... Exactly what sizes is this shock going to be released in?

#20 ·
If it's air then it's harder to controll the motion of the shock, or? So it is as good as a normal dhx5 shock but lighter? It can take drops and races without problem? What are the downsides?

#21 ·
hmmmmm there is a reason why manitou never followed the air shock :rolleyes: for dh. remember it wont be as smooth as your coil and oil. and if u blow it up, there is nothing to carry your weight (no spring) I think this shock is a great idea for dh racing only. other wise it will cause probs. i know the Fox Floats for the race snowmobiles were great on the race track, but absoluty stink on the trials, they leak, they blow up, and they are no where near as smooth, we have tried every setup, it is just the idea of a sealed air chamber

#25 ·
What year is your Bullit?

OneBlueJoker said:
my dad just got one here off the classifieds brand new for his bullit for 360. It is a sweeet shock and is super smooth. When you stand up to pedal up hill the shock locks out..its sweet! super nice shock its definately worth the money!!
What year is that? I have an 01 Bullit and would like to run an air shock on it, I contacted Fox and they weren't sure and I contacted SC and they never tried an air shock on an 01 Bullit. Still researching.

#26 ·
Some of you fellas should spend less time in this dh forum, and more time in other forums. Then you'd find out that some mtbr members have been using this shock for over a month now. Don't believe the rumors about this shock being like other air shocks. It has a larger air chamber than an rp3, it can disappate the heat generated from long dh runs. Do a search in the turner forum under DHX air to read all the chatter that's been going on for weeks now.
El Chingon, SSINGA weighs 220 I believe, and he's using one on his 6 pack.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.