Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1989 Trek 970

7K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Zian 
#1 ·
18" 1989 Trek 970. Mix of vintage, newer, and newish components.

Still dialing things in, but so far so fun.

Frameset, along with many of the parts were a gift from a friend. Thanks C!

Breaking it in on the Taconic Crest trail this weekend up here in the NE, and then off to Colorado next week to ride Kokopelli Trail!

Attachments

See less See more
#9 ·
Nice. The following year (1990) I bought a 970 for my girlfriend at the time. Stuck ringle cages and a Fisher Fat Trax 2.2 up front too... She rode it once and hung it up in her dad's basement. Bumped into her a few years ago and she told me it's still there.

#14 ·
It's downright inspirational! Can you share details of the build? I like the bars, are they a threadless bull-moose type thing? And can I assume those wheels are 26? My retro ride needs a new lease on life, and I'm leaning in this direction.

#15 ·
I have a 94 or 95 Rockhopper it was my first real mt. bike I bought it new for like $400-$500 its Rigid and is still going strong I am tearing it down this winter for maintenance and putting alot of the parts I am upgrading on my 1999 GT XCR400 FS bike. that one i am modernizing with a 1x drivetrain thinking of putting that new Box prime 9 rear derailler on it. the XT and LX that was on it are going on the Rockhopper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.