Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

80's Olmo mountain bike!

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  indianadave 
#1 ·
So I come across the vintage Gary fisher, Specialized, etc. bikes pretty often. They are common, and aren't that special.
But I broght this home last night.
Never heard of the company, but some quick research shows that they seem to have made road bikes, but didn't really get into mountainbikes very long.
Some interesting parts on it, but don't seem too high end. (Plastic brake levers?)
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Mode of transport Bicycle wheel rim

Green Colorfulness Purple Bicycle Bicycle tire

Bicycle handlebar Bicycle accessory Bicycle part Bicycle frame Bicycle

Green Yellow Colorfulness Tints and shades Snapshot

Bicycle accessory Metal Bicycle part Steel Composite material

Wheel Rim Spoke Automotive tire Automotive wheel system

Bicycle accessory Bicycle part Bicycle Tread Metal

Bicycle frame Bicycle part Bicycle tire Bicycle accessory Bicycle

Wheel Mode of transport Bicycle wheel rim Automotive tire Spoke

Bicycle part Bicycle drivetrain part Bicycle accessory Bicycle chain Bicycle
Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle accessory Rim Spoke Bicycle

See less See more
#3 ·
Euro road bike brands with Euro parts I personally get a little more excited about. Neat to see Sachs Huret, Campagnolo, EDCO, Zeus... stuff like that.

That said, I've never, ever seen that Shimano (?) chainguard. I must have put together hundred of similarly spec'd North American bikes and not one came with it.

#4 ·
This is so of the 80's euro it hurts. The neon and assorted coloring, the bash guard welded under the downtube, the pretty detailing at the seat collar and fork crown. All it needs is a nice euro cycling kit, some big glasses, a weird helmet, and you are riding a 300 year old cart trail in the Alps!

#6 ·
I remember Olmo road bikes in the 70's and 80's. Some of the road bikes were real crap, others were high end Columbus-tubed, full Campy race bikes.

We had a Bridgestone MB-5 with that component group with the plastic levers. Our Bridgestone had the infamous under the chainstay U-brake that was popular for a year or two, 1988-89 maybe? Your bike is probably from the same year.

#7 ·
The Mountain LX group was only specced on bikes for the 1989 season. It was replaced with the 400LX, 500LX and Deore LX series in 1990.

You should be able to locate a 2 letter date code stamped on the Shimano components to confirm date of manufacture. First letter is the year (M=1988, N=1989) and the second letter is the month (A=January, B=February, etc)

I have never seen that chainguard on those cranks before. Wonder if it was an aftermarket addition? The round chain guard looks a bit odd with BioPace chainrings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.