Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Race Report: Cowbell Classic 12-Hour <long>

468 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Eddie O 
#1 ·
Cowbell Classic 12-Hour Race
Charlotte, NC
June 25th, 2005

Everything was going well until about 10 hours in, but I'll get to that in a moment. I had a minor mechanical in the first few hours, but luckily I had the back up bike, the Kula Primo, on hand. I mentioned in my last report that the KP was a bit stiff and may not be made for endurance racing. Well, I lied. Just a few minutes into the first lap with it and I knew I had the right tool for the job. It was stiff, but that's what made it work so well. I was just shooting up the short steep climbs that made up this little 5.5 mile loop. With 550 feet of steepness each lap, being able to climb quickly was going to make this race.

I took the lead early and thought I was holding it. With just two hours left I was starting to bonk a little. I hadn't taken in many calories and the effects where beginning to settle in. My plan was to stop in the pits for some fuel and then turn out two more laps to finish just after the 8 PM cut off (we had to finish a lap between 8 and 9 PM or take a DNF). I took my time in the pits, ate an OCP and chugged a BURN. I took some gels and headed for the timing tent to see what was going on.

The times had not been updated in a few hours, so one of the guys said he would check the current times for me. After a quick look he says, "Looks like you're in second dude." "What!?!?!&#8230;. How&#8230;to who and how far back?" I was completely shocked. The times posted where a little confusing to read, but I was sure I was a full lap up the last time I looked. "I don't know." was all he could say. I took off like an angry bull.

As I rode near max speed I was thinking "there is no way I was going slow enough to lose a full lap in 2 hours. No freaking way. Gees, if I had known anyone was close I could have been going faster the whole time. How did this happen? " Over and over again the thoughts played out and none of it made sense. Mean while I was riding very aggressively and probably upsetting a few of my fellow riders. I apologize if I was rude.

Motivation trumps everything. I finished that lap in 27.5 minutes, over 15 minutes faster than the previous lap. I stopped at the timing tent and asked if they knew what position I was in or if they knew whom I was chasing. Again "I don't know&#8230;just keep riding hard." Easier said then done. I angrily took off muttering things my mother would not have approved of.

Near the end of this lap I approached a solo rider I could not remember seeing earlier with a John Deer racing kit on. I asked what lap he was on and what place he thought he was in. "Lap 15 and either 1st or 2nd." I briefly explained the timing issued (which I decided later was completely stupid. I could have not said anything and he would have just kept riding along with ever knowing the difference) and then shifted to the big ring to leave him behind. My pedal decided this would be a good time to exit the crank arm.

It was total panic on my part. I said more things my mother would not have approved of, this time out loud. Luckily there were only trees to hear it. I was able to thread the pedal back in by hand (I left my multi-tool at home), but not very tightly. I remounted and began the chase. Twice I had to unclip my shoe from the pedal, reach down and tighten the pedal back into the crank. Much to his surprise, I caught and passed John Deer at the top of the last climb and headed straight for my pit.

In a blaze of fury, I ripped open the toolbox and began tossing unneeded tools aside. I found the wrench I was looking for and went to work tightening the pedal. While bent over my bike I hear "Ed? Yeah that's Ed." I look up to see the guy who told me I was in second. "Sorry dude, but you were in first the whole time. You are a lap up." "Come again?" I thought. I rambled something about all the drama I had just experienced and how he now owes me a beer as I rode off.

Since I still had 20 minutes to the cut off I headed out for another lap rather than stand around killing time. I kept the pace up more to burn off all the adrenaline I had built up than anything, but I also wanted to stay ahead of John Deer to be sure there was no issues of who was in what place at the end. It turns out John was 5 laps down and finished in 4th.

This win was huge for my confidence. Not only am I following up a 24-hour win just two weeks ago, but also I was able to absolutely through down for the last 20 miles of a 100 mile ride. This is definitely a new level to my fitness and I have to give a lot of the credit to my coach, Josh Seldman, for guiding me to this point. Thank you.

Once again Namrita was truly impressive with another podium finish. She is a natural. Congrats on the 3rd place. Read her version here http://namrita.blogspot.com

Many, many thanks to Paige, Paige and Devin (sounds like a law firm or something) for their support during the race. It was Paige & Paige's first mountain bike race experience, but they conducted themselves like pros.
Next up is the 6 hours of Power in Ellicottsville, NY on July 10th http://heartrateup.com/6hop05.htm

Many thanks to my sponsors for their support:

Mechanical & Product Support from Cartecay Bike Shop - Ellijay, GA

Bicycles & clothing from Kona

Supplements from GNC 5361 N Socrum Loop Rd, Lakeland, FL

Energy drinks from BURN

Lights from Light & Motion

Nutritional & health advice from Dr. Jamie Brenon.

Coaching from Josh Seldman.

Massage from SMIT

Chiropractic Services from Dr. Josh Glass

Addition Product Support from Chainwheel Drive Bike Shop in Clearwater, FL

More reports at http://eddieodea.com

Thanks for reading,

Eddie O

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.