Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Silver/chrome rear derailleur

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  eshew 
#1 ·
Hi! I'm looking to convert my early 1991 Karakoram to a 1x10 setup. Will something like a 10 speed 11-42 cassette fit? It's on Deore LX the moment.

I want the derailleur to be chrome, dull chrome or "raw alu", not interested in "painted" silver. Does a thing exist? The Microshift R10 derailleur shows the look I'm after (but it doesn't have the range needed): https://www.microshift.com/en/product/rd-r47-rd-r47s/

#2 ·
I think you could safely use that derailleur with a 36t cog if that was enough. Maybe get a longer B screw. Woolftooth makes an extender link that will allow you to go even bigger, but that sort of "shifts" your range rather than increases it.

Remember that you'll need shimano road shifters (or bar ends on pods) rather than shimano mtb shifters. 10 speed is when the later switched to Dynasys which has a different cable pull. Also, shorter pulley cages tend to work better for 1x setups. Since you don't need to wrap as much chain, they don't slap around as much.

Otherwise, I think you're SOL on finding a proper, silver finish unfortunately.

#3 ·
If that gt 7 or 8 speed? If it's 7 you'll need a new hub. Anything 9 speed is sure to work with 10 speed. 8 is compatible as well.

If you're going 1x though you might as well get 10 speed Shimano slx or xt. No sense in running a half assed kit, looks are great but function is most important

The derailleur you listed above doesn't have a clutch. That's one of the key features you'll want for a proper 1x setup. Clutch helps to keep the chain tight and aids in keeping the chain on the ring. Very important if you'll be hitting any bumpy trails. You might be able to get by without it but it's not something I'd consider as reliable or safe.

#4 ·
If that gt 7 or 8 speed? If it's 7 you'll need a new hub. Anything 9 speed is sure to work with 10 speed. 8 is compatible as well.
It's a 7 speed Deore LX. New hub, duly noted. Thanks.

If you're going 1x though you might as well get 10 speed Shimano slx or xt. No sense in running a half assed kit, looks are great but function is most important
I found the Sram X0. (Partially) true chrome. Seems like a good alternative? Auto part Machine Circle Silver Automotive engine part

The derailleur you listed above doesn't have a clutch. That's one of the key features you'll want for a proper 1x setup. Clutch helps to keep the chain tight and aids in keeping the chain on the ring. Very important if you'll be hitting any bumpy trails. You might be able to get by without it but it's not something I'd consider as reliable or safe.
Wont go for that one.

Remember that you'll need shimano road shifters (or bar ends on pods) rather than shimano mtb shifters. 10 speed is when the later switched to Dynasys which has a different cable pull. Also, shorter pulley cages tend to work better for 1x setups. Since you don't need to wrap as much chain, they don't slap around as much.
Thanks!

Otherwise, I think you're SOL on finding a proper, silver finish unfortunately.
See above picture. :)

#5 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.