Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Longer A2C Fork on Early MTBs (1990-1995)

4K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  PHeller 
#1 ·
I've got a 1990 Marin. 385ish a2c original rigid fork.

When I search for pictures of this bike, I see quite a few examples in the 1990-1992 years of these frames with early suspension forks - 400-410 A2C. Including Marin themselves!

Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim

I don't want a suspension fork this bike, but what I do want is more tire clearance - ie the ability to run 26x2.8 tires.

Luckily, the new obsession of hipsters (of which I'm one) for small wheeled bikes has Crust making two suitable forks - the Evasion 65mm offset fork (400m a2c) and the segmented fork (408mm a2c).

Anybody know of any other, cheaper (under $100) forks that'll fit 26x2.8 while being around 400mm a2c?

See less See more
#4 ·
Are you switching to threadless? Also aren't these 1" steerer? I don't think there's any way you're going to find a threaded fork that fits 2.8. You might be able to get something to clear a 2.3 - 2.35 on there, but I don't think something threaded that clears more than that exists. Other option would be custom, but that's obviously going to be expensive.

#5 ·
I think these are 1 1/8th, although my 1" quill stem adapter works fine. I think it's because the outside diameter is 1 1/8th and the internal diameter is 1". Honestly not 100% sure though. Maybe it's just a case of quill adapters being not so particular.

I could easily switch to threadless - I've got spare headset.

#6 ·
I have a 1" fork that will fit a 2.8 tire (pretty sure) but it's unthreaded. The axle to crown is also a bit long at 425mm I believe. Carbon legs, alu crown, chromo steerer. Not vintage at all, but would get the job done - and I imagine the wall thickness on the steerer is thick enough to be threaded. It's also disc only - but I think you can find versions of it with canti posts too. Anyway, I could get it to you for under a hundred easily if you think it might work.

#7 ·
In case anyone cares, the Surly Lowside fork is now my main interest.

It's 420mm a2c, which is about comparable to the RS1 and other early suspension forks. It's 1-1/8th straight steerer, as well. I've got an old threadless headset I can use.

It's disc, too.

I'm going to get real crazy and run it with a 275x3 tire, which should lift my front a good deal, another 20mm over my current 26x2.5 tire. That'd be total about 50mm of front end lift. The RS1 had 60mm of travel, but at sag but sat much lower.

Luckily, my intention is not run this setup by itself, but combined with a Xtracycle Freeradical Leap conversion. Usually one of the negative results of such conversion is an overly low BB, so this, combined with another 275x3 in the back should lift the BB to a satisfactory level for off-road adventures.

#8 ·
In case anyone cares, the Surly Lowside fork is now my main interest.

It's 420mm a2c, which is about comparable to the RS1 and other early suspension forks. It's 1-1/8th straight steerer, as well. I've got an old threadless headset I can use.

It's disc, too.

I'm going to get real crazy and run it with a 275x3 tire, which should lift my front a good deal, another 20mm over my current 26x2.5 tire. That'd be total about 50mm of front end lift. The RS1 had 60mm of travel, but at sag but sat much lower.

Luckily, my intention is not run this setup by itself, but combined with a Xtracycle Freeradical Leap conversion. Usually one of the negative results of such conversion is an overly low BB, so this, combined with another 275x3 in the back should lift the BB to a satisfactory level for off-road adventures.
You can´t fit a 27.5 x 3in in the back. My advice: buy another frame or ride this under it´s limitations. Find an old surly 1x1 or get a chinese carbon hardtail. Otherwise you will spend a lot of money and say good bye to your bike´s handling quality.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.