Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Do you ride sick?

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Monocog Man 
#1 ·
It's been a hard year for aka Brad. I rode sick at Solvang (told myself I was just tired), rode sick at the Sea Otter (added 5 minutes to last years time; still just tired) and a week ago it finally hit me that I was not going to be able to get out of bed. Three days in bed later (I can now tell you ever spot I missed last time I painted the bedroom) I emerged weak and with a new appreciation for good health. I rode the first time yesterday in two weeks; took an easy Nisene ride to Sand Point. I'm still a little dizzy and the butterfly's come back from time to time. I've got a race next month at Northstar, so I have to train, but I plan on working up to speed slowly.

So how about you? Do you deny you're are sick, even when you are? Do you ride sick? Please state your age (I'm 50) because being recovery can be very age specific.

1G1G, Brad

#2 ·
Yes but

aka brad said:
It's been a hard year for aka Brad. I rode sick at Solvang (told myself I was just tired), rode sick at the Sea Otter (added 5 minutes to last years time; still just tired) and a week ago it finally hit me that I was not going to be able to get out of bed. Three days in bed later (I can now tell you ever spot I missed last time I painted the bedroom) I emerged weak and with a new appreciation for good health. I rode the first time yesterday in two weeks; took an easy Nisene ride to Sand Point. I'm still a little dizzy and the butterfly's come back from time to time. I've got a race next month at Northstar, so I have to train, but I plan on working up to speed slowly.

So how about you? Do you deny you're are sick, even when you are? Do you ride sick? Please state your age (I'm 50) because being recovery can be very age specific.

1G1G, Brad
I ride easy.
If you race or hammer when you are sick it doesn't add to your fitness level only intensifies and prolongs your cold.
So ride easy, most "serious" riders are probably pushing the line between reaching and over training any way, a cold is a good excuse to take an easy week we probably need anyway.

#3 ·
Hydrate

I can ride easy when I'm sick, but I usually don't have the guts to go hard, and I usually can't concentrate well enough to ride well anyway. It's a good time to take a spin with my kids or just a lazy road ride to get my blood flowing.

It's never more important to hydrate, and I always drink like a fish when I'm down. More than you think, especially if you're busting a sweat. You should be taking a leak every hour or so, and if your piss smells bad, or if it isn't pretty much clear, then you're not drinking enough.

When you're over it and feeling better, nothing works the kinks out like a smooth hard ride and about a gallon of cytomax.

#7 ·
Yep...

I'm 19, and had pneumonia for 3 weeks, still rode. Definetly couldn't push as fast as I normally could. But, hey, if I have to go to class and study hard and be at the brink of passing out; well then, why not go ride. Actually, the riding made me feel a bit better than sitting in the dorm.

#8 ·
I'm 39 and have attempted to race sick and has never worked. Breathing gets very difficult with congestion and the runny nose gets wild, it's not a pretty site. Also I can't concentrate so I keep making stupid mistakes along the course.

Currently working on my first cold of the year and have decided to give the bikes a break. Tried to ride on Tuesday and was off by a long shot, that's when I decided to take it easy and rest instead.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.