Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Old Specialized Rockhopper help

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  awilli 
#1 ·
Im trying to identify the the front fork on the wife's old Specialized Rockhopper FS (guessing a late 90's). I cannot locate a serial number anywhere on the fork. It is oil filled (leaking oil and reason for this post). It has the smooth plastic caps on top of each shock, non adjustable preload. There are snap rings under the boots that appear to hold the shock tubes in place. I am thinking it is not serviceable. If it helps it is a threaded steer tube.

If I end up having to replace it, what should I get? Looking to get something inexpensive as she mainly just rides smooth trails.

#2 ·
If the name on your suspension fork is Specialized Future Shock, it is a re-branded Rock Shox , either a mag 10, 20, or 21, and you can get oil seals for them here:
https://www.enduroforkseals.com/products/front-suspension/enduro-classic-fork-seals/

If you have to get a new fork get one with the same travel and close axle to crown measurement or you will end up with a chopper looking bike, with bad handling. I had a 94 stumpjumper that the suspension fork died on, and ended up have to go with a rigid fork to match the a/c measurment.

#3 ·
Do you know how to remove the existing seals? I have gotten the fork apart to were each side's shock is out. Is the inside tube removable? Or to you just remove the seals and slide them out over the tubes? I tried searching for a how to video with no luck. Plenty of videos for other style shocks just not mine.

#4 ·
Might need to take a pic. Most of the rockhoppers came with just elastomer or MCU forks - Rock shock Quad 5, Indy or Manitou SX forks or even lower.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.