Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What is the "best" rigid fork?

20K views 31 replies 25 participants last post by  jct 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Simple question... what is the best rigid fork going around at the moment?

I am looking for bomb proof, ~490mm AC height, lightish and good value.

I have a Maxlight XI QR at the moment but there's very little clearance to the brake rotor and it catches some times which is a little disconcerting. Otherwise it is a pretty decent fork and it seemed to do a lot of the Tour Divide folk just fine.

Anyway...

Niner Carbon? Low AC height, not much tyre clearance and seem a touch fragile. Well the internetz has some broken ones so that's a big mental hurdle

Cheapy far east copies? Not winning me over on the durability front even if it is only mental

Salsa Firestarter Carbon? Seems to tick all the boxes but isn't cheap

3T MTN? Pretty cheap in the UK, 500mm AC height but a bit of an unknown quantity

ENVE? One of the few with reviews and all seem positive but not cheap, AC height is a bit low and it looks odd without the fender which I'd leave off.

Something steel? Most seem to either be twangy or dead, not light and seems hard to find something high quality. Singular would be the one at the top of my list but low AC and I don't think they sell them anymore.

Top of the pile for me seems to be the Whisky No.9 bolt thru. Not crazy cheap but ticks all other boxes. The other thing holding me back is no reviews or long term durability feedback. Does anyone use these?

Thanks in advance, DanW

See less See more
#4 ·
I rode with a Carver XC 490 for a couple of seasons and really liked it. Very bomb proof fork that held up to AM riding with a rigid bike (some of my DH PR's around here were set with that fork).

I'm currently on a Trek 1120 fork, because it is 510 A-C. So far it's been good, but I've only got a handful of rides on it and can't speak to durability.

All of them feel like rigid forks so I don't put much stock in 'ride quality'.

#6 ·
I have the Whisky No. 9 carbon MTB fork on my SS. Great fork. Rides nice, good tire clearance. I'm not gentle on it either, 6'3" 205 lbs, avid rider/racer.

I had a Carver 465 (strait steer, QR) fork on my old SS, that was pretty good too. I think the Carver forks are good as well.

The Niner fork would be high on my list. If you like steel check out the Vassago Odis fork (if it's still available?)

#23 ·
I have the Whisky No. 9 carbon MTB fork on my SS. Great fork. Rides nice, good tire clearance. I'm not gentle on it either, 6'3" 205 lbs, avid rider/racer.

I had a Carver 465 (strait steer, QR) fork on my old SS, that was pretty good too. I think the Carver forks are good as well.

The Niner fork would be high on my list. If you like steel check out the Vassago Odis fork (if it's still available?)
Wait a minute, you were 215 lbs in a post yesterday. What have you been eating/drinking?

If *OneSpeed* hasn't broken it, that's a huge endorsement.

#7 ·
I’ve done some dumb, dumb **** on my bike with my Whiskey no9 fork mounted, (like Black diamond Sedona trails and South Mountain National trail) and it’s held up. Like waist-high drops to flat.
I even broke a steel frame and the fork lives on.

Whisky9 gets my vote all day. I stuck an adhesive-backed cable guide to the leg to avoid the internal routing clusterflock.

#8 ·
I've got an older 490AC White Brothers (MRP) and it's nice. Really good fore/aft movement takes the sting out of dirt road washboard bumps, chundery stuff, etc.. I like it for touring/mixed terrain stuff.

I've also got a Waltworks fork from when I got a frame built by him. It's solid. Stiffer, I don't think about it when trail riding harder stuff. Walt can build you pretty much anything.

#13 ·
Max-a-mill is right about carbon, it's magic for rigid forks.
The Whiskey looks like a good fork. I've been using Niner forks on my two rigid bikes, I really like them. Like Impetus with the Whiskey, I've run the Niners really hard and they are holding up really well. When they need to be replaced, I'll likely be going with Niner again. BTW, They can run up to 3.0, the same as the Whiskey.
Hope that helps

#14 ·
Thanks all for the extra thoughts and sorry for the delayed reply.

MRP Rock Solid is a good one I forgot and lots of brands use this design. I used to have an Exotic of the same design and it worked well enough. Not the nicest ride but does the job.

I looked in to the Exotics again but their updated design is the same as the Maxlight I have which I get rotor rub on the fork :( Ditto the updated Carver is the same design.

I ride rigid SS exclusively so have spent a fair bit of time on different designs and can't agree with those who say all rigid forks are the same "feel"-wise. I didn't mention ride quality in my OP but some are definitely more pleasant than others.

Thanks for the other suggestions like Vassago/ Walworks. Being in the UK means a lot of the nice forks that appear here on MTBR are very hard to get hold of or at least work out very expensive by the time they land.

I've checked out Whisky again here in the UK and the bolt thru version is £425 cheapest! They used to be ~£300 which is still a lot of money but not £400+! Really encouraging reviews from the guys who run them though so thank you for that :thumbsup:

Back to the drawing board a little bit I think to try and find something better value than Whisky :(

#17 ·
I've checked out Whisky again here in the UK and the bolt thru version is £425 cheapest! They used to be ~£300 which is still a lot of money but not £400+! Really encouraging reviews from the guys who run them though so thank you for that :thumbsup:
Well to be fair you asked for the "best" rigid fork, not the cheapest.

Back to the drawing board a little bit I think to try and find something better value than Whisky :(
I didn't want to post this in the "best" fork thread, but if your willing to lower your standards it seems to get good reviews.

Tandell 29+ Carbon Rigid Fork

https://forums.mtbr.com/26-27-5-29-plus-bikes/tandell-rigid-fork-1074310.html

#18 ·
Well to be fair you asked for the "best" rigid fork, not the cheapest.
I am looking for bomb proof, ~490mm AC height, lightish and good value.
Best in inverted comments as value is part of that and I didn't have a money no object fork in mind, more the best overall fork taking everything in to account. Really my priority is being fit and forget with large mileage rigid SS.

I know a lot of it is in the mind but it is hard to not love a(n annecdotal) review like this :D

I've done some dumb, dumb **** on my bike with my Whiskey no9 forkmounted, (like Black diamond Sedona trails and South Mountain National trail) and it's held up. Like waist-high drops to flat.
I even broke a steel frame and the fork lives on.
Tandell seems interesting, thanks.

The other UK based one which has just come on to my radar is Travers.
https://www.traversbikes.com/store.html#!/Travers-XC-Prong-Boost-Carbon/p/73904492/category=15761046

#20 ·
I have a Niner rdo boost on my primary bike and have used an enve on a couple bikes and it's currently on my backup bike.

No issues with either. Both have good ride quality with just enough give to smooth things out but not cause issues under heavy braking. No problems with stiffness in corners either.

If I had to choose, I'd simply pick the one with the length that better matched my frame.

#28 ·
I have a Niner 853 that's pretty awesome, but I replaced it with a Soma because the axle-crown is 485mm vs. 470mm for the Niner. Also ridden Surley 1x1 and the Kona Project 2 back in the day. I can't really tell the difference in ride quality between them, but I can appreciate that the longer axle-crown slackens the head angle, increases the wheelbase and gives me less pedal strikes. Minor fine tuning over the 470mm. The Niner was a beautiful fork though. Never tried anything but steel, never will.

#29 ·
Never tried anything but steel, never will.
why???? carbon is a true metal killer. i rode custom steel for years. don't miss the weight AT ALL and to me carbon rides much better (stiffer in the right spots AND more forgiving in the right spots). i do miss the custom builders i worked with tho (WALT ESPECIALLY); nice guys!!!! wish the handmade carbon market were easy to get into.

steel is still real but carbon is the future...

#30 ·
Been riding the Niner boost fork all season, doing plenty of dumb things, setting "enduro ish" downhill PR's and everything. Fork is holding up great; would buy again. I purchased that fork because it was boost, and eventually I want a sus fork for that bike to get rowdy-er from time to time and give the arms a break. I have riding buddies with every version of the RDO fork (QR, TA not boost, boost) and we all seem to like it and would buy another one.

I have an Enve fork NIB I purchased a few years back while I was working in a shop. I didn't have a bike for it at the time, but knew I would eventually. I have ridden a few bikes with that fork, and was pretty impressed with how it rode. If boost isn't a concern, I would strongly consider getting this fork.

The bike that made me fall in love with rigid again had a Ritchey WCS QR fork on it. Sometimes I miss the extra flex that fork had in the rock gardens, but since my bike rack is a fork mount, I do love the consistent index a thru axle gives you. If I had another straight steer bike and needed a fork, I'd look long and hard for another one; a great riding fork!

#31 ·
I’ve had White Brothers (now MRP) rock solid fork
Steel and carbon Niner forks
Various Trek and Kona forks that came stock on single speeds
I’ve been riding fully rigid for about 20 years and mostly single speeds.
I can’t say I’ve ever felt a better fork than the ENVE MTN. It’s a notable difference as soon as you descend. I know that you can buy numerous others for half the price but I don’t care. I attach the single track with my bikes and this fork takes it and feels perfect!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.