Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Need a SS disk wheelset for a 26" Surly 1x1

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Rod 
#1 ·
I want to finally convert this thing to Disk, but I can't find 26" SS disk wheels anywhere. What are my options for cheap mtb disk wheelsets?
Can put a 27.5 or 29" SS wheelset on this thing?

#2 ·
So, you have disc tabs and brake posts on the 1x1?

Honestly I don't think there are many off the shelf options for a 26" SS wheelset. SS is niche to begin with and new SS frames are most likely going to be B+/29er. The 1x1 should fit 26+ or 27.5 up to maybe 2.3/4.

#6 ·
I don't see a disc tab on the frame, but there is probably one on the bomber fork. From a quick image search I saw the '01 still rocked rim brakes and the '02 brought in the disc brakes. I haven't seen a factory 1x1 with both, but that doesn't mean it isn't out there.

As Mack said, you could build a wheelset. Having a wheelset with MSW rims and disc hubs could be had. I built one for for my wife's Rawland that has a disc front and rim brake frame. I think you might be able to find something used for good price.

#7 ·
Yeah sorry that is my old frame. I cracked the chain-stay on that one and they gave me a newer black frame and fork with disk tabs. mtbr is not letting me upload the photo I think it's too big. I will have to keep my eyes open.

#8 ·
I'm in the same boat... I had a rear wheel kicking around my garage... a Rhino Lite laced to Deore hub. Put an old BB7 on the rear of my 1x1.
After a few shop visits I found a matching front wheel. Now if I could find an old 1x1 fork with the disc tab on it as the one I have only has canti posts. Then I'd put the front BB7 on there instead of the reverse mullet front v-brake!

There are some 26" wheelsets out there, you may have to dig back in the rafters of your local shop.

#9 ·
I have run 27.5x2.8 DHF front and rear on my 1x1 on i30 rims. The frame was close to maxed out but the fork can probably take 27.5x3.0.

So do consider 27.5 wheelsets. I think the bike rides great as 27.5, but it has been a decade since it had 26" wheels. You can always buy a standard (geared) wheelset and use spacers to make it SS.

I have a set of BB7s with Gold/black Avid levers I would be happy to sell cheap to a fellow 1x1 rider, LMK if you want them! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.