Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

For you alt bar guys...

9K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  redwarrior 
#1 ·
#3 ·
That's a good find and price. Wondering if you guys who run such high sweep bars find the handling weird in the rough technical stuff. I've settle on an SQ Lab 16 degree sweep bar, handles like normal to me, no weird feeling on anything, but that extra sweep definitely helps the wrists for those long pedals.

#4 ·
I've been waiting for details to come out on this bar, saw on FB where a guy across the pond was testing it for Ritchey.

I've been debating considering alt bars again and the SQlab 16 has been the main one of interest. This Ritchey may be worth trying.

#8 ·
Nice offer from Ritchey, I especially like the rise but the sweep might be a little too much for me. I wish the Salsa bend 17deg 740mm was 40 instead of 75. It seems like those who use alt bars settle into the range of 15-25 as FRS1661 has mentioned. Coming from riser bars with little sweep, I'm hesitant to get all sweepy. That said, I'm really liking bar designs with forward sweep so I don't have to replace the stem as well. Thanks for the post.

#9 ·
I have the carbon SQ labs 16 degree on the Krampus. I like the sweep and it's nice and compliant.

Previously used the Salsa Bend 2 (23 degree), currently on my cross bike and it's Awesome!! Too narrow for the MTB at 710mm.

Salsa also updated that bar and now offer something similar but wider, the Bend Deluxe at 740mm. Also now have an 11 degree Rustler Deluxe available in 750 or 800.

#10 ·
Yeah, I gave that 11 degree bar a shot before pulling the trigger on the SQLab one, but honestly, I really couldn't tell much difference between it and regular old 9 degreee bars so took the gamble on the SQLab and am super stoked. This bar is priced right to try and if nothing make it onto the commuter.

Salsa also updated that bar and now offer something similar but wider, the Bend Deluxe at 740mm. Also now have an 11 degree Rustler Deluxe available in 750 or 800.

#11 ·
Nice bars for sure.

I run silver Mary bars on one of my rigid SS 29er's and low rise no sweep carbon bars on the other. Tried the Mary bars on the other and it just didn't feel right (somewhat geometry dependent maybe... I dunno).

#14 ·
I've run Origin 8 Spacebars (Mary clone), On One Fleegle, Answer 20/20 & Syntace 12 degree sweeps. I moved away from the more swept bars the the Syntace 12 degree but found myself wanting to go back to a more swept bar. Along came the SQLab 16 degree bars & I love them.

I'm currently riding rigid & see that SQLab have a carbon version with 30% more flex built in. They cost a fortune, though... Anyone see or ride one of these? https://www.sq-lab.com/en/products/handlebars/handlebar-311-fl-x-carbon-16.html

#17 ·
30x, it's super compliant, would make a great handlebar for a rigid bike.

The other carbon bar I'm super impressed with as far as ride quality/compliance is Enve, which is actually cheaper than the SQ labs. More of a traditional handlebar though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.