Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Singlespeed Smackdown Deuce: From the Top Rope!

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  KevinGT 
#1 ·
Font Poster Graphics Illustration Graphic design

After the success of last year's event, we're at it again.

This singlespeed ride will again start and finish at the amazing Mulberry Gap Mountain Bike Getaway, in Ellijay, GA and will cover some of the best trails in Georgia over about 38 miles. We'll climb 2000' right out of the gate and then hit several legendary descents, including the wet-and-wild Mountaintown Creek and the fast Pinhoti 2.

All totalled, expect about 6500' of climbing, 20 or so stream crossings, a sag stop/bag drop, and a great day of riding with fellow singlespeed masochists. Oh, and a special Smackdown Challenge to have a chance at a really cool prize.

We'll wrap up with lunch, beers, and massive raffle at Mulberry Gap. Last year we gave away over $2000 worth of stuff and no one walked away empty handed. And we'll present the second annual Cog of Shame award after the raffle.

Join us August 10.

Register on the Mulberry Gap site here: https://www.mulberrygap.com/events-clinics/2019/8/10singlespeed-smackdown

The event is limited to 75 riders so register soon!

See less See more
#7 ·
Not actually a race, more of a group ride that ends up breaking into multiple groups of people with similar ambitions whether that be to hammer it, stop for a swim, or two, or stay close to people carrying Fireball to celebrate a few key points on the route.

Was a great day on the bike for sure. A little harder than last year with the extra section that was added, stayed overcast until most riders made it up the climb to potato patch which really helped, mountain town descent was rowdy as always and clear of downed tress the day before thanks to a couple of fine volunteers including Andrew from MBG and everyone who participated made it back safely which is no small feat on that course.

Post ride ceremonies were great yet again as KevinGT emceed while throwing a metric ton of great swag at everyone. Maxxis tires, water bottles, hats, Thomson bike components gift certificates and coffee (who knew Thomson did coffee?), endless bike co cogs and chainrings, vassago swag, special edition SSM edition tumblers and loads of other stuff I'm forgetting because of the Reformation beer that was flowing. At one point he just stopped drawing and told the crowd to come get some stuff.

A couple of honorary SSM members were chosen, cog of shame went to worthy recipient to bear the burden until next year, and money was raised to support trail maintenance as well as local high school racers. All in all a great day in the woods.

Other highlights that may mean more to those who were there:

JBC didn't cramp

Mr Brazil removed his AXS shifter to render his $10k s-works technologically imbecilic, bet SRAM never thought their digital derailleur would be demoted to a simple tensioner:cool:

Luchador did it again but with more style this time

The sag stop was well staffed and much appreciated

And it all ended by a bunch people fanning out into the woods as part of a SAR mission for someone not part of the event but was injured, freaked out, and had no idea where they were or how to get out. That ended as good as it could have too I guess.

Not everyone that rode but most of them.

Attachments

#6 ·
- I'm getting too old for this kind of riding; I rode Bear Creek / Pinhoti loop two weeks ago out of Mulberry Gap on the FSR and can't imagine climbing that on an SS.......and my SS is only 21 lbs., not too bad.......of course, I never thought I'd ride Great Wall (CCW, up the Wall), Skinny, & Brown Wave at FATS on an SS, but knocked that off quite easily......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.