Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Fs ss

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  socal_jack 
#1 ·
Might have been as much as a couple years since these photos were posted here. Maybe time to revive them.
Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle frame Bicycle part Bicycle accessory

Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Automotive tire

Not sure if this contraption ever made it into production.
=sParty

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Truth, Train Wreck.

Also, the more I look at the suspension configuration the more it looks like it's installed backward. I'd like to see a GIF of the monkey motion in action, but from these still shots it looks like it wouldn't even move when it hits a bump. The upper/forward link already looks fully extended. I must be missing something significant here. Help me.
=sParty

#4 ·
It looks to me as if when the shock compresses the front link drops and pivots forward in a counter clockwise motion, at that point a gap would open between the shock and top tube(don't get your finger caught in that gap). That's my best 'guess'. Since you mentioned it I've spent a good 10 minutes looking at the bike trying to figure it out. Now I feel like I'm overthinking it.

#5 ·
Yeah, me too I guess. You must be right about the compression stroke although it looks to me like bump forces would make the whole thing want to move in the opposite direction. Oh well, who cares I guess. I'll never see one of these on the trail, much less own one. In fact I don't even want one. I prefer my singlespeeds to be hardtails.
=sParty

#7 ·
I'd paSS on that.

The Nude shock on my Scott Spark 930 locks out sufficiently for such an application but I just can't fathom running front or rear suspension on a single speed.

#8 ·
I'd paSS on that.

The Nude shock on my Scott Spark 930 locks out sufficiently for such an application but I just can't fathom running front or rear suspension on a single speed.
Interesting. Throughout the few thousand k's I've ridden on FS SS's I've never once *wanted* to lock anything out.

That suspension is there for a reason.

#11 ·
It's funny. When the URTs first came out, the reviews were pretty good, especially for the Castellano designed SweetSpots (ibis Szazbo and Schwinn Homegrown). Once other full suspension bikes came out, suddenly the URTs (even the "good" ones) were unrideable.

Okay, I'm a little biased but I'm still on one as an SS. They climb like a hardtail and have enough suspension to take the edge off when pointed downward. I have a newer Fox DPS on my Homegrown and have yet to lock it out on climbs. There's just no reason to.

#12 ·
It's funny. When the URTs first came out, the reviews were pretty good, especially for the Castellano designed SweetSpots (ibis Szazbo and Schwinn Homegrown). Once other full suspension bikes came out, suddenly the URTs (even the "good" ones) were unrideable.
This seems to be pretty typical for the bike industry. Look how many people are praising Eagle drive trains. As soon as Shimano can pull their heads out and actually release some competitive 12 speed groups, people will be talking about how poorly Eagle shifted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.