Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Odd Tooth Chainrings?

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  milehi 
#1 ·
I swear this has been asked here before, but I can't find the thread. With everything being NW these days, I can't seem to find any odd tooth chainrings. Do these still exist? Long story short, I am running Paul WORD boost hubs and a White Industries trials freewheel on my new KM, which means swapping out gearing is going to be more of a hassle. I am doing a couple endurance events this summer where 32x18 may be a tad light for the long gravel sections of the races, but 34x18 is going to have me off the bike on punchier, techy climbs. It's splitting hairs here, but 33x18 would give me a little bit each way, and anything helps.

Is anyone aware of a company that still makes old school, non-NW rings?

#4 ·
This is why I didn't buy a new Shimano crankset when I had to replace mine recently. Lack of chainring options.

However, just do math. Assuming you're using a consistent tire size, we can skip gear inches and go by ratios.
32/18=1.777 too low
34/18=1.888 too high
34/19=1.789 in the middle
30/16=1.875 in the middle

#6 ·
Suck it up and spin a lower gear or mash/ hike a gear that's too tall. The difference between the gears I mentioned are not that great. Unless you're in some high-stakes race, I'd pick the lower gear and enjoy the scenery when you have to spin.

One more reason I don't like freewheel hubs.

Can't you just buy the outer cog for those White freewheels for cheaper than the whole freewheel? Check with WI. Those are super easy to service if that's all you need.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.