Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

My beautiful bike

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Uncle Grumpy 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I like it a lot. I recall when the Yeti Ultimate came on the scene -- I wanted one SO badly. Didn't get one, tho.

However I did get bar ends. Way back then. And I still employ them on every mountain bike I've owned throughout the years. I never quit using bar ends and don't intend to. Over the years other riders may roll their eyes or snicker but once we start rolling and they understand that not everyone who employs bar ends is a homeless loser.

So I salute your bar end equipped Yeti. It looks like it's in great condition -- love the 3DV, too. :thumbsup:
=sParty

#7 ·
I do not have a new bike and I haven't ridden a bike for years. I was playing soccer competitively for 15 years, but a recent knee injury has me back on the bike.

This 1990 beauty has Bullseye hubs, Campagnolo cranks and rebuilding the Manitou 1 with the suspensionforkparts.net was much easier than I thought it would be. Getting all of the melted elastomer with solvent was the only hard part. I had a disc brake bike and I get it, but something about hauling up Kennedy and down Dogmeat on this is awesome. Only bummer is the shifting is not quite there. Any good 7 speed non-cassette freewheel recommendations? I would love to find this in a 12-30.

Interloc Racing Design Classica 7 Speed Freewheel

Mark

#10 ·
Gentleman (and ladies) this is VRC. Who is making fun of bar ends? 22" bars with 3 degree sweep! These are real Hyperlites. You need bar ends!!

Just to upset everyone. Went up SA23. I did power poles! I went to Dogmeat and descended. Down to the dam and up Saint Joes! Definitely no tire pressure checking.

OK....is there a better 7 spd freewheel? Come on, VRC! You're my only hope!

Mark

#12 ·
Just to upset everyone. Went up SA23. I did power poles! I went to Dogmeat and descended. Down to the dam and up Saint Joes! Definitely no tire pressure checking.
Doesn't upset me! That's the kind of thing I'm talking about, riding up and down and covering some miles.

These days an "epic ride" is one with berms and jumps. People get fixed about pressures and damping and they spend 3 hours adjusting everything just right for a 30 minute ride. I think it's a crock but it does flood the market with second hand gear that has had little use (not that any of it is compatible with vintage bikes).

You're not like that so you're righteous, brother!

#11 ·
That is a beautiful Yeti Ultimate and is even in my favorite color!
Congratulations and good luck with it.
Yes to bar ends and narrow bars - I still use them on every one of my vintage bikes (and yes, wear a fanny pack with tools, tube, dollar bill and patch kit).

Suntour PowerFlo freewheels worked well (as I recall) with either Shimano or Suntour thumbshifters as did Shimano Hyperglide but the range on both was limited 13-28 or 14-28, maybe 30.

Although I have a modern S-Works FSR carbon (26"er) and RC900WC 29er, 95% of my riding is on my vintage bikes (mid-80s through early 90s).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.