Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

March 15-17, 2019 Weekend Ride and Trail Report

3K views 43 replies 23 participants last post by  NahBrah 
#1 ·
Conditions should be all time this weekend.

Photos and reports are appreciated.

The payoff.....

Text White Colorfulness Line Parallel

See less See more
#5 ·
I guess I would call this Kamakura / Zushi Part Deux!

Back in Japan and just finished up an audit. Since it is forecasted for rain/snow across Japan tomorrow figured I'd hit up the sure thing ... Kamakura. Mike, not sure of handle on this board, sent me a link to an awesome loop after seeing my first feeble attempt at the area. So glad he did (THANK YOU!). The trails he sent were BAD ASS. Of course I was riding a bike two sizes too small with the brakes reversed, but no excuses!

Got a much earlier start and brought a headlamp. Didn't need it at all but as I learned last time, you just never know! I rode about 6 miles I knew and another 11 that were new to me. This place has everything from flowy downhill, half-pipe sections, drops, rock gardens, cool forests, shrines, steep sections. I know it sounds too good to be true right!?!? It has some steep HAB in sections, but it's well worth the adventure factor!

Hopefully locals don't mind me rep'ing the place. If you do, PM me and I'll take this down. All in all a fantastic day. Can't wait to get out there again!

Blue Text White Line Colorfulness

Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim

Vegetation Nature Natural environment Plant community Leaf

Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle frame Wheel Bicycle wheel

Nature Vegetation Green Natural environment Natural landscape

Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Rock Bedrock

Property Photograph

Rock Sculpture Stone carving Artifact Carving

Natural environment Bicycle accessory Bicycle Forest Bicycle handlebar

Food Sandwich Finger food Cuisine Ingredient

It really is a sin to eat a burger in Japan, as they have so much better food, but they had a stout on tap and that just sounded a perfect way to end the day!

#6 ·
<--- That is my handle.

BTW - In Kamakura, the best burger is "Good Mellows" on the beach.
You skirted Kamakura, but stayed out of it for the most part and played in Zushi/Hayama.

I am not worried about the route being posted here, but if anyone is going to ride it, I prefer they contact me so I can give the info on private land and where to walk the bike, etc... Please don't post to trail forks as "notes" added seem to not be truly read.

Glad you had a good time. Jared and I are heading out early tomorrow most likely.

Michael

#7 ·
<--- That is my handle.

BTW - In Kamakura, the best burger is "Good Mellows" on the beach.
You skirted Kamakura, but stayed out of it for the most part and played in Zushi/Hayama.

I am not worried about the route being posted here, but if anyone is going to ride it, I prefer they contact me so I can give the info on private land and where to walk the bike, etc... Please don't post to trail forks as "notes" added seem to not be truly read.

Glad you had a good time. Jared and I are heading out early tomorrow most likely.

Michael
Definitely will keep off Trailforks. Thanks again man, laying here in bed reminiscing about the day. Such a good time! I might pack my bike next time. Would be awesome to ride the trails with confidence! I don't think I can make it down in time to ride early, but next time I'm going to Air BnB after the audit like you said and stay down there!

#2 ·
Isn’t it a bit early for this thread? Well anyhow, conditions were prime this evening in my little seaside town. I can only expect that they will stay that way through the weekend. And I for one, have a $hit ton of catching up to do on the trails. See you out there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
Yes. Over the last 3 years a ton of trail work has gone into that trail. On one had it's awesome to be able to go so fast and have it hold up well after big storms, on the other I'll never be the one advocating to turn a tight narrow singletrack into a high speed flow trail.

#15 ·
RBoardman; I'll never be the one advocating to turn a tight narrow singletrack into a high speed flow trail.[/QUOTE said:
-And neither will I but it's a fine line we have to tow in the Park with Management.

Trust me, i hear the same talk every year after we fix the trail over Winter that it's "too easy" or it's "G-rated" and i always say to that: "Come talk to me in August".

Enjoy it while it's TACKY AF!! :thumbsup:

#22 ·
*** Just a friendly heads-up for Sunday in Toro Park ***

Below the back-to-back bridges (a bit more than 1/2 way point of the trail) there will be a crew working on replacing bridges. SO, when you see some T-shirts hanging from tree branches please slow down and be ready to stop and dis-mount. We should be up to the work-site around 9:45 - 10:00.

THANK YOU!!

#32 ·
-Anytime Callender! Yesterday was TOUGH lumping all that Bridge material up the mountain but so worth it. Trails are PRIME for the upcoming CCCX Enduro at the end of the month. . .

#25 ·
rode from my kid's place just below campus (UCSC). After finishing building the new Following and the rain clearing, he'd already done 4 rides this week but was stoked to hook up with ol' dad for a ride today to blow off steam before finals week.
Climbed star wars and looped a bunch of upper campus stuff then headed to wilder for old cabin / enchanted before dropping down to the bike path and spinning back to town. hit the west side pump track on the way back for a few kicks and giggles. A little over 20 miles /3 hrs. It was absolutely stunning out there today. The dirt, the air, the flowers / scenery...just stunning. And the company was rad too, of course. In addition to getting to ride with the boy, we ran into / rode sections with many familiar faces.

#28 ·
China Camp was beautiful today albeit crowded; possibly more than I've ever seen it before. Mostly firm single track with occasional mud holes in the shade. Overall really nice. Took out a buddy for his 2nd ride ever on a MTB.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.