Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Blackspire Stinger

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Addy Marx 
#1 ·
I'm about to acquire a new frame that has vertical dropouts and ISCG 05 mounts at the BB.

I'm getting this frame with the intention of running a Blackspire Stinger in order to tension the chain. There are some older threads with people claiming to have done this on a singlespeed, but I'm wondering if anyone has any more recent experience.

Any idea as to how much slack they can actually take up? According to a magic gear calculator, the gear that I want to run would need a .25" longer chainstay so I figure that there shouldn't be too much slack to take out.

Thanks!

#2 ·
I tried it with a Shimano 2x crankset with just one ring and could not get the roller to line up with the ring like I wanted it. It was the BB-mounted Sting too. If you can adjust the chainline on your cranks or move the Stinger laterally to line up, it should work better.
I think the Stinger was designed to keep a chain from falling off the ring(s) on a bike with shifty bits, so it might not make a great tensioner. Don't try to make your chain "tight" with it, at least.

#3 ·
I've run a Stinger on 2 frames but both were 2x with ISCG 05 mounts. There is very little vertical adjustment in the stinger. The holes are slightly elongated but maybe only the length that would be equivalent to two screw widths as I recall, so you won't get a lot of twist out of it. If you were crafty, you could maybe elongate the holes if need be. Tough to say if it would work appropriately for the SS. I'm fortunate my Surly has the MDS dropouts so aside from a tugnut, I need no tensioner.

One thing I would mention, the Stinger imparted a bit of noticeable friction as it's not the most precise bearing surface. It only runs a bearing on one side of the roller. You might be adding a little extra workout to your ride! :lol: I honestly don't know how that compares to a tensioner, though.

#4 ·
Interesting. Thanks for the info.

For the price of one I think I'm still going to try it, but I will still have my Rohloff as a backup (though I may also try a Rennen if I don't need a half link).

According to Blackspire's document, I should have the correct chainline (non-boost) to line up with the roller, but who knows. I can be pretty crafty if I need to, so maybe I can make it work.

#7 ·
Assuming it's an older model than the one currently on the website and the dropouts aren't replaceable?

White Industries Eno Eccentric rear hub is a good option, or an eccentric BB like Trick Stuff Exzentriker or Phil Wood.

The Stinger is a less expensive way to experiment, but if it doesn't work there are other options.

#8 ·
I tried a Stinger on a frame with vertical dropouts as a fun 'b' bike project. It worked well enough. As mentioned friction was noticeable but for the price I was happy with the performance.
For a main bike I wouldn't tolerate it. For a fun bike it gets a pass from me.

I'd say go for it, for the low cost it's a worthy experiment.
Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Wheel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.