Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Taller Gear/Lower Cadence vs. Easier Gear/Higher Cadence?

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  mr_chrome 
#1 ·
Which is most efficient (note I said “efficient”, and not “faster” or “better”): a taller gearing, or easier?

Context: After riding 34x20 as my “daily, go-everywhere” gearing for years, I recently switched it to 34x19 on my new (lighter) build. While I like it, and can generally handle it just fine, on some of the harder climbing around my local trail system, I found myself getting somewhat “stuck” in the gear, and really having to muscle it over. I made everything, but it was effing work, and slow going, at times.

Yes, typical SS’ing, but I’m thinking I’d be more efficient and, yes, “faster”, in a lighter gearing, where I can maintain a higher cadence on the grunts. In terms of “gear inches”, the marginal decrease of the lighter gearing would be more than made up for by the higher cadence. Yeah, might give some of that back on flats, but not enough to overcome the increased climbing efficiency.

Side note: I’ve been doing a lot of “training” on my geared hard tail, and have been working on spinning more, and using a higher cadence. I’ve noticed I can be quite fast on climbs by really jamming up them in 34x21 vs. trying to muscle them in 34x18 (my next gear down the cassette), and my legs feel less worked also.

I know, blasphemy with regard to the “Go Hard(er) or Go Home” SS ethos, but I’m interested in feedback on this. I’m an SS-endurance racer/rider (12/24-hours solo), and this **** adds up. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
I’m curious about this also. I know there prob is a formula that would work but avg cadence x gear x tire ratio for speed. Harder gear naturally your cadence will be lower but what is the impact on overall mph for say a 10 mile ride ?

#3 ·
In terms of aerobic efficiency, I can't remember where I saw it, but I'm pretty sure higher cadences that produce roughly the same power are more efficient. In my experience though it's all relative/personal.

I don't ride a lot of big long climbs where I live, lots of short punchy ones, so I would rather muscle a taller gear for those short sections and have more gear for the flatter and slightly downhill sections.

At the same time though, I've tried to work on spinning higher cadences this winter on the trainer/exercise bike and my particular physiology can't handle much more than 90-95 rpm without it feeling absolutely terrible for more than 30 seconds at a time. My natural cadence seems to be somewhere in the 80-85 rpm range.

For off road, that's generally led me to a 35x21 on my 29+ setup and a 39x17 for gravel riding. This gearing generally feels efficient/like I can push it all day.

I'm doing a 25-mile early season gravel event in a few weeks though where I'm going to test out a 29+ gravel set up with 38x21.

#4 ·
I know everyone hates lance but he showed a higher cadence is really effective vs a big gear. He dramatically changed cycling. We now have a much wider range than 11-23 or 11-25 on road bikes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Gearing is so course/trail dependent. IMO, if your riding is mostly up and down, you're better off with a lower gear as you can do less grunting on the climb, and you will spin out on the descents no matter your gear anyway. The steeper the climbs and descents the more this is true.

If the trail has a lot of flat or slight downhill you might be faster gearing up and having to grunt it up the climbs.

I recently moved from riding an area that was more 'mixed' with equal flat, climb and descent to an area that is more steep up and steep down with less flat riding. I geared down from 32x18 to 30x18 and it was an improvement.

#7 ·
My .02 is this:

I only do one race a year and it's a 45 mile endurance race with 8000ish climbing. My first year riding I rode it with a 30x20 and finished 10th overall. I felt good about the ride and never felt too overwhelmed.

Last year I decided to gear up and rode a 32x18 (I'd been riding 32x20). I blew up about half way up the main climb and felt like **** the rest of the ride. It was way too much gear and I got smoked by another SS'er on the same 30x20 I was on the year before.

However, I finished about 20 minutes faster than the previous year.

What does that mean? I have no idea, but this year I'm more of the mind to stick with a lower gear.

#9 ·
I tested a few gears over the years and found that, personally, I like a gear I can still turn up most hills without walking and spin flatter trail systems fast......I ride to control my weight at 56 so spinning works best for me.........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.