Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Old build or buy used?

683 views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  Stack n Reach 
#1 ·
Newly rediscovered MTB when I took a local job and started riding to work. Been riding my SS Kona Unit as a winter commuter even though the (L) frame is too small. I will be selling once winter ends. I just bought this in the fall and took it on some casual trails and now am hooked on SS.
I'm preparing for summer season where I want to do more trail and XC riding. I need a bike that fits better. I want to convert my old XL 08 (07-09?) Cannondale caffeine 29er F2 lefty to SS from 3x9. I like this frame with its old school upright geo, I've never tried anything "slack." I think that the lefty (never been serviced), the brakes and the rest of the bike is in working order. I have acquired Stan arch wheelset with lefty hub and 142 hub rear to run tubeless. I plan on eliminating the large small rings and using the read Derailleur as a tensioner. I have a feeling I'll likely replace the entire crankset too to narrow wide, I could see new brakes as well as everything is stock now.
Is this a good plan or should I just buy a SS? The big thing is the big frame fits me but I'm worried about investing in an old ride where the lefty could fail and then cost more than a used bike and I'm not an accomplished mechanic. Should I sell this for whatever or keep it 3X9 and look for a better XL SS to take to the trails?

As one possible option B: I've been looking at classifieds and there is an XL Salsa El Mariachi in bomb pop blue set up 29er 1X9 with some suntour fork for $600. This could be a simpler conversion without the crank set and BB change and a slightly newer bike.

See less See more
#2 ·
I vote for the El Mariachi. Proper SS setup with sliding dropouts, steel frame is a major plus. Only downside is the Suntour fork. I'd either replace it with a rigid fork or buy a decent used fork.

If you opt for Option A, you can/should have your Lefty serviced. There's nothing wrong with the current crank, just put a NW chainring on there in the middle position. There's something to be said for a bike you know fits and you enjoy riding.

I'm curious how tall you are?

#4 ·
IIRC the El Mar isn't a super big frame, I'm afraid the XL is too small for you. There's some guys around here that can comment on that better than I though. Definitely test ride if possible.

You should probably be looking for a XXL frame IMO. 22-23".

I feel your pain, I'm 6'3" and often struggle to find frames that are big enough.

#7 ·
I didnt want to write a novel in one post, but the only issue with buying used is finding a bike to fit your frame. You're not a typical size. If the el mar fits I suggest buying it. Itll take roughly 200 bucks just to rebuild the lefty.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

#9 ·
Rebuilding the lefty is what I'm afraid of it's ten years old now, not sure 200 is worth it for 80mm. I could just lock it out or find rigid. I'll keep cruising for a used XXL or XL SS seems like a better deal.
You can ask Mendon Cycle Smith how much it would cost to service that fork, he does them a lot. May not be as bad as you think? https://forums.mtbr.com/member.php?u=256751

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.