Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

14 year old rider here, I've decided to buy a fat bike!

986 views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Canoe 
#1 · (Edited)
Alright, let me get into detail. Im 14. I love bikes. I've been meaning to buy a fat bike for nearly 2 years. I'm on a budget, but i got the money.

I made all of my 300 dollars shovelling driveways. The bike i'm getting is 379 dollars. Canadian winters are tough!

The bike itself is a cheap one. Yeah, i've gone through all of the threads and I know there will be limits and upgrades. I'm just requesting advice and any potential upgrades you'd suggest. Things that I will are handlebars, seat, shifter, ETC. This bike is basically a mongoose dolomite painted black but its better. It has 23 5 star reviews. Here it is

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/...-s-hardtail-mountain-bike-26-in-0711653p.html

Any help is appreciated! When I get it in march I will definitely reply back to this thread and post pictures! Thanks.

See less See more
#11 ·
Shovelling snow to earn $379 is a lot of work.

$379 is $70 short of the $449 for the much better fat bike at Costco - a much better everything for $70 - cheapest upgrade you'll ever see. Frame and everything on the bike upgraded for the cost of brake calipers. Perhaps there'll be more snow and you can make more $. Or a sale of the bike at Costco at the end of the season (or ask the manager if they have too many on the floor for this late in the season?). If there's any way you can swing it... you'll get so much more bike.

There is at least one bike shop in Windsor that sells Fat Bikes. Bicycle World on Grand Marais West. Fat bikes ~$1,100 and up. I'd suggest you call them and see if they have any Fat Bikes on the floor for you to see, then drop by and have a look to see what is possible sometime down the road. It should help you choose upgrades for the bike you get now. You can take a look at quality bike locks while you're there.

#5 ·
Where are you located? I know locally (Ottawa) there are a few programs to involve younger folks in the sport. Joining some local bike/fatbike clubs might help with the sourcing of upgrade parts too. Maybe even get you a loan of a higher-spec bike to join on a group ride or two.

#6 ·
(from the Dolo thread)
Alright, just keep 3 things in mind, guys
1. I can't afford anything more. I'm on a tight budget, I made all of my money shoveling snow, and I'm only 13, turning 14 next year.
2. I know about the issues I might face along with maintenance, and I accepted that a long time ago.
Can you guys give any advice for when I do get it? Here in windsor, ontario there is unfortunely no other way I can get a fat bike other than getting the schwinn, so I have no other option

#8 ·
Hey snowy mountain, I was on a budget as well. I could not justify buying a lowe-spec bike so I watched for used bikes instead. for $500 I was able to buy a Fuji Wendigo 2.1-Later to convert it to tubeless. I am worried with tires like yours tubeless might not be possible, and flats will be inevitable on regular fat tubes. It is difficult to buy a good fat bike with less money unless you buy used. Do you own other bikes? or is this you all-timer?

#9 ·
Seat, seat post, handle bars shifters are all low hanging fruit, cheap and easy to swap out with standard bike parts. If you are truly interested in fatbiking and are going to take it out in the snow I'd suggest tires first. They make or break the experience. The tires shown on it in the pictures would be fine on the street or beach.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.