Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

SSer switched to FS & Gears and hate it!

1K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Rod 
#1 ·
Hi fellow SSers. I recently got a new FS bike, 2nd one since 99! I got the FS to have for my longer rides 3+ hours. Still ride my SS on shorter rides. Thinking this would help ease the pain on the body since getting older. Thou I am having more knee and back pain riding the FS then SSing! What gives?

Here are my thoughts in my head

1) My hardtails where so easy to setup fit wise, copied my measurements over to my FS. Are FS more crucial to bit fit? Should I break down and get a professional bike fit?
2) Maybe I am mashing to hard of gear at times having all these gears at my disposal.
3) I need to get used to spinning again!:(

Any other people go through this? I feel like I want to chuck the FS, and just build a light weight 27.5 Plus or 29 Plus SSer. Never have had a light weight build. Love my burly Krampus and nimble 9, but have thoughts in my head of a Ti build or Pivot Les SS. Being lighter weight with plus tires all I may really need.

#2 ·
Really depends how and where you ride. I usually ride rigid SS but after demoing a FS on some super knarly trails (michaux state forest in rocksylvania) all day today, I am all in with getting one for days like that. I cannot fathom running my SS on those trails, and I had a super fun time. I can ride the rigid SS with a huge smile on my face on other local stuff, so there is room for both.

Don't be afraid to play with pressures, rebound, and compression. Even volume spacers can make a big difference.

Ultimately, make sure you enjoy what you ride!

#7 ·
Thanks for all the responses!

Don't be afraid to play with pressures, rebound, and compression. Even volume spacers can make a big difference.

Ultimately, make sure you enjoy what you ride!
One of the areas I have been playing around, was a lot harder to get dialed in with fork and shock. Compared to just having a fork. I may rent a shock wiz one weekend to see how good I think I have it.

The FS bike and gears may be pushing you to ride while seated more, yet you are used to the lower cadence that comes with riding a higher gear on a singlespeed. Grinding higher gears while seated hurts your body more then standing to mash. That's why geared riders all think that SS'ing is bad for your knees but most SS'ers are just fine.
Pretty sure this is my main problem.

How are you measuring "fit"?

Start by setting the saddle at the same height. that's elementary.

Then make sure you are comparing apples to apples: Start at the BB and get the grip height and reach relative to the BB the same so account for the BB drop. if you need to set it up slightly more upright, take away some reach as you add stack. basically, you want the distance from the BB to the handlebar (or more accurately, the grips) to be the same. that way, you know that the way the bike fits under you when you are standing, hovering, and working the bike under you is the same on both bikes.

Ignore saddle position relative to the handlebar at first. then dial it in after you have the effective reach and stack set up.

this might help: bikego.net
Thanks for the tip, I will check all my measurements!

#3 ·
- no, I own both types and use both about equally depending on the type of workout I want......for long climbing days, I use the FSR cause I can't stand up that long as needed for singlespeeding........

#4 ·
Knee and back pain sounds like you are pushing to high of a gear.

I experience a similar thing when I road bike. I tend to get more knee pain riding that than any of my singlespeeds.

There could be a few things going on here. You may ride the FS bike a bit differently so maybe your fit needs to be adjusted, but I tend to think that's unlikely. I have all of my bikes set up pretty similarly.

The FS bike and gears may be pushing you to ride while seated more, yet you are used to the lower cadence that comes with riding a higher gear on a singlespeed. Grinding higher gears while seated hurts your body more then standing to mash. That's why geared riders all think that SS'ing is bad for your knees but most SS'ers are just fine.

#8 ·
You ever try one of your FS as SS? I am tempted to just try a rohloff tensioner on mine. Is a specialized stumpjumper ST, and FSR design have low chain growth.

Also I did demo the new FS Epic a few weekends ago and that was an interesting ride with the brain. I hammered that bike like crazy, felt close to a hardtail with having more plushness over the roots and rocks. That got me really spinning my head.

#6 · (Edited)
How are you measuring "fit"?

Start by setting the saddle at the same height. that's elementary.

Then make sure you are comparing apples to apples: Start at the BB and get the grip height and reach relative to the BB the same so account for the BB drop. if you need to set it up slightly more upright, take away some reach as you add stack. basically, you want the distance from the BB to the handlebar (or more accurately, the grips) to be the same. that way, you know that the way the bike fits under you when you are standing, hovering, and working the bike under you is the same on both bikes.

Ignore saddle position relative to the handlebar at first. then dial it in after you have the effective reach and stack set up.

this might help: bikego.net

#10 ·
I have a related problem. I got a fancy FS bike with gears and it's just not as fun. I 'need' gears to accomplish some of the longer climbs around here, and thought FS would be fun for chunky downhills. The novelty was fun but it got boring after a while, and I hate how the BB height is constantly changing on slow tech. Found I was riding the rigid SS as much as the FS and having more fun. Ended up getting a hardtail with gears that I may set up rigid too. (FS bike is a 5010 V2 and for sale)

I went through this same cycle the last time I bought a FS bike in 2009. Apparently I didn't learn my lesson.

#11 ·
My full suspension bike is much faster, but it doesn't feel as fast though. I have all of 80mm of travel in the rear but it's enough to soak up everything and I can keep pedaling. I can see how it doesn't seem as fun, especially if you dont care about raw speed. This is coming from someone who had a hardtail for 8 years and a rigid ss steel bike.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.