Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Lefty 2.0 "air" maintenance (with native 2spring)

7K views 31 replies 6 participants last post by  geckodudes 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, I write from Italy, I found your forum looking for information on the maintenance of our beloved lefty ... I decided to register as I see people very prepared in the maintenance of our fork.

I have a Scalpel Carbon 2 of (2018) with Lefty 2.0 and 2spring native editing.

I purchased the following Tools:

-Cannondal Castle Slider Tool, 40mm, KH198
-Cannondale Headshok Shaft Clamp Tool, 16mm, Lefty 2.0, KH135
-Cannondale KH127 / Tool Outer Cap 36mm for Lefty 2.0 / SuperMax
-r.s.p. Slick Kick Special Grease 50 g Tube
-r.s.p. Lefty Service Kit
-2Spring Universal 100Hr Service Seal Kit Code: CK5407U00OS

In my possession I have dynamometers etc. ..

What I miss are drawings / videos on where to replace the Orings to be included in Kit CK5407U00OS

Can someone help me?

thank you very much

See less See more
#5 ·
Uhuh.

Question - please don't be offended. Do you understand how the solo air spring works? Do you understand how the 2spring solo air spring works?

If you don't, please don't dick about with your lefty and get a pro to sort it. It will be cheaper in the long run.

If you do, happy days.

OK.

Thinking about the 2.0, and working downwards, if you aren't re-building the damper the o-rings you will do are

1. Big one on the main nut at the top
2. Upper head seal, outer
3. upper head seal, inner (need the bullet tool to do this safely)
4. 2-spring: shaft end
5. 2-spring: main piston
6. 2-spring: valve
7. Shrader plug assembly

This diagram is useful for understanding how 2spring works and the seals involved.

https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https://www.koloshop.cz/data/images/C59780-1.jpg&f=1

You have to be very careful with where to grease when it comes to 2spring. Look in the lefty tech thread for details.

Mendon will be along in a moment to correct me on the above, but the tl;dr is

- don't try to fix it if you don't know how, it will make things worse
- the kit you have covers all bases and you only use a selection of the parts included

#6 ·
First of all, I thank you for the useful answer!

I know how the 2Spring works.

The decision to revise the fork autonomously is given by the fact that I think I have good maintenance skills in the face of years of experience in the field of industrial maintenance, in addition: the bike in 6 months has traveled about 3000 km and 100000 meters in altitude on many technical paths ...

An estimate of the mechanic I did do ... and amounts to c.a € 140 ... and the bike must remain still 10 days ..... too ..... in both cases ...

I thought that if I do the maintenance alone ... in 1 day I do everything .... and 6 months in 6 months I repaint the equipment.

You gave me an excellent detail: the present orings are not all necessary ... this was what confused my ideas ... now it is definitely clearer ... so I will totally replace: 10 components ... that "split "of the 2spring composition I had already found it ... if I had not found further documentation I would have replaced those and just ...

So all in all it seems easier than I thought ..

#12 ·
That's the fella, but it's not used to put the o-ring inside the Upper Air Seal - it's used to open up the small o-ring in the upper air seal and safely progress the damper shaft through it, when putting the upper air seal back on the damper shaft after its o-rings have been replaced. The guy in the video you posted above does a demo.

#13 ·
#16 ·
I've not tried it without, but it doesn't strike me as the hardest tool to fabricate or improvise - a suitably sized and shaped pen lid might do it for example. All it needs to do is gently, safely expand the o-ring ID > shaft OD, then drop the o-ring over the shaft.

#23 ·
Tempo fa cannondaleExperts aveva un kit oring abbreviato per le 100 ore solo aria: qui trovi lo schema di quelli che vanno sostituiti per fare solo la parte aria:

Long ago cannondaleExperts had a shortened oring kit for 100 hours air: here you find the scheme of those that must be replaced to do only the air part:

Text White Line Font Parallel

#24 ·
#25 ·
Non so te ma io con 50 euri ci compro oring per revisionare 50 lefty; comunque l'importante è la lubrificazione frequente di oring ed il lavaggio dei cuscinetti boccola in teflon. Falla ogni 50 ore ci vuole un attimo con alcool isopropilico e olio forcelle da 20wt. Come grasso oring uso un Prep fett manitou.

I do not know about you but with 50 euros I buy oring to service 50 lefty; however the important thing is the frequent lubrication of oring and the washing of the teflon bushing and bearings. Every 50 hours, isoproly alcool and 20wt shock oil: takes a moment. Oring grease I use a Prep fett manitou.

#27 ·
I made the review everything went very well !!

I have some questions now:
I would like to clean + replace the oring of the air part "DOGBOUND" .... how to get there? Needed tools? Nm closing?

Other:
I would like to find a 1 liter tank of liquid to clean the fork () like the one in the RSP kit ... where can I find it?

Thank you!

#28 ·
This is because I noticed that when I emptied the telescope from the cleaning liquid it came out VERY dirty ... but I had no more liquid ... it would be better to have more ... but I don't like buying so many kits .... I would like a 1 or + liter tank of detergent .... advice?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.