Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

You single speeders are an odd bunch . . . SS wannabe questions

5K views 51 replies 31 participants last post by  Crash_FLMB 
#1 ·
When I think about single-speeding, it makes absolutely no sense why I would do it. But for reasons I can't explain, I'm really drawn to the idea, and thinking about building up the next bike as a SS. A couple of questions:

1) Is having sliding dropouts significantly better than using a tensioner? I certainly dig the cleaner looks of the bikes without a tensioner.

2) Do you think weight matters more with SS than a geared bike? Seems like a lot of SS bikes are steel, so weight can't be that big of a concern, right?

Wondering if these issues should drive the decision of what frame to get, or better to just choose the frame with the desired geometry, and go from there. TIA

#8 ·
I'm with Mack. Tensioners are a quick and easy way to see if you like single speeding, and they can work fine in the long term as well. They're just don't give you that "hey look at me, I'm a lean and clean dedicated single speeder" look.

Weight doesn't matter any more single speeding than for regular riding, which is to say, it doesn't matter much at all.

#44 ·
This pretty much covers your original questions, and I agree.

SS'er since 2004...some years 100%; currently 66.666666666667% because I'm doing some training on a geared bike.

I actually have two SS's, which I love. LeSS NeSSman had his shakedown ride today...

Don't overthink it; just build one up and do it. You'll evolve from there...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Yes it's worth getting a SS frame that has some provision for chain tensioning as opposed to running a tensioner. Geometry and fit should be top priorities.

No, weight is not a consideration. Most SS's are hardtails or rigid and steel rides better, that's why you see so many of them.

#4 ·
Another benefit of a single speed bike is from the reduced weight of the drivetrain.

There is also reduced chain drag because of the optimal chain line and no chain tensioner.

I've seen forum threads about the latter point, but I have no empirical data or links for us.

All I want to say is that riding a single speed can feel incredibly great sometimes. It's potential, for me, is greater than riding a 1x full suspension bike.

But on the other hand, a single speed can be one hell of sufferfest too.

The serious drama comes more often on the climb. Torque to the rear wheel and tire traction are at times a delicate balancing act.

It took me a while to trust that the chain wouldn't snap or the handle bar bust, due to all the strain.

But it the components I've had hold up fine.

Anyway it's pretty interesting.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

#5 ·
If your curious about riding singlespeed, set up a singlespeed drivetrain with a tensioner on whatever bike you've got. If you find that you really like it, look into getting a dedicated SS bike or frame with adjustable dropouts or something like that.

My rigid singlespeed 29er is heavier than the FS geared bikes that many people with whom I ride use.

#6 ·
Speaking as a guy who got into SS only a year ago, it is a whole different ballgame. Without a derailleur the bike is so much more responsive. Put a little pressure on the pedals and it feels like you're flying. Gears are way overrated. So is suspension. Your SS will ride lighter no matter how much it weighs. I like mack turtle's advice. Give it a try on the cheap and see if you like it.

#7 ·
Pick a frame with the ride qualities, geo, tire clearance, and dropouts you want. I wouldn't care about the frame weight too much, even if you plan on racing. My wife rides a 6 pound steel frame with 40i rims and 3" tires, but since it's a rigid SS, we were still able to keep the bike at 22 pounds including pedals.

Wheel and tire weight do matter though.

#9 ·
SS specific frame is definitely preferable but a lot of us got into SS by buying a new ring and a rear cog and just throwing a tensioner on there, the alfino is like $20 and works great although it's as heavy as an anchor. Surly makes cheap steel rings and cogs that work great and last forever as well. It's a good way to start re-using a nice vintage bike as well if you have one that's been cast to the garage. I ended up building up a mid-90's ti frame and that SS is like 16 lbs with front suspension, which is another ballgame itself.

#10 ·
Cool, thanks for the responses!

Yes, definitely gonna try it out before buying a new frame. So, if my current hub is an i9 torch with XD driver, and I wanted to hack it into a single speed, it seems I would need to change the driver with this:

https://www.jensonusa.com/Industry-...MItI_zjcOd4AIVbiCtBh1QKAnTEAQYASABEgLVxvD_BwE

And get one of these:
https://www.backcountry.com/surly-s...MI36GUo8Od4AIVkNdkCh1W1gfJEAQYASABEgKig_D_BwE

And then get a cog and a tensioner. Hmm, starting to add up. Am I missing something and there's an easier way?

Any reason that I shouldn't just use my derailleur as the tensioner, and move my shifter to an in accessible position so that I can't shift gears without stopping? (Not as a long term solution, but just to try it out to see if it's for me.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ·
I say go all in and commit to it. I've never known anyone that didn't enjoy SS if they were at all interested in riding a ss. You could use your derailleur, but its not the same as dedicating yourself to it. That's the beauty of a SS, less moving parts. So I say forget the derailleur.

#12 ·
I say go all in and commit to it. I've never known anyone that didn't enjoy SS if they were at all interested in riding a ss.
Well there's at least one, I was super gung-ho on the idea and gave it about a year. I had lots of fun but one day I decided to put gears on my KM and never looked back. I guess using gears just fits my style of riding better.

#14 ·
I'm with J.B. here, I really liked SS!

The way I think now: As long as I have 1X I can just look at the front ring and pretend it's a single speed! :cool:

I will probably end up with a dedicated SS at some point in my future, but it won't be my only bike.

#15 ·
Another cheaper option, you could pickup a redline monocog for 200-400 bucks. The stays are long so it's hard to wheelie, but it's a great starter bike to see if you do or don't like SS. If you like it you could sell it to get your money back or upgrade it on the cheap since it uses older tech.

As coke said, wheelset and tire weight do matter.

Good luck

#16 ·
There you have it, don't dive in the deep end until you know how to swim. SS can be brutal, you might have to walk at times, you might be coasting when you would normally be pedaling, its not for everyone. Also, don't listen to my contradicting opinions.

#17 ·
To experiment, I bought an '08 KHS Solo One SS rigid for about $300 on c'list. It was there for weeks if not months and I kept looking at it knowing I wanted to give it a shot but for no good reason. I finally gave in and contacted the guy. It was in really nice shape and a pretty cool bike. I made the offer and he bit. I started right away on some of my buff single track multi-use trails and was really diggin' it! I rode it regularly and noticed that it made a huge impact on how I rode my full suspension bike by picking lines, carrying more momentum, pedalling rather than resting. All the things you have to do to efficiently singlespeed. I started hammering PR's on the SS! Even a whole bunch on downhills even though it was a rigid rig!

I was sold! I bought a brand new '15 Karate Monkey frame and built up a real nice SS with XT brakes, Race Face Aeffect crankset, ARC i35 hoops on Hope Hubs, Wolf tooth oval ring, carbon bars, LEV dropper. All my friends were saying "WTF?!" I say you'll never understand till you try. It's a hoot.

Like golf, you can't play well with just one club. I bought a new '17 Karate Monkey Gnot Boost framed bike and then did my thing with that by putting XTR 1x11 11-46T with a Wolf Tooth oval, Aeffect crankset, i40 hoops, XT brakes, LEV dropper, Fox 34 Rhythm. That's my geared hardtail and designated trail-working bike and I can pull a BoB Ibex with it. It's a hoot to put time in on the steel bikes and then switch over to the carbon framed FSR. WOW! It's whole different world and makes each one more fun.

#18 ·
I converted an older El Mariachi titanium frame to SS and use a surly singleator. I freaking love it. I’d prefer a frame with sliders for the aesthetics but don’t believe the tensioner makes a difference in the riding characteristics other that the extra weight.

#23 ·
I converted an older El Mariachi titanium frame to SS and use a surly singleator. I freaking love it. I'd prefer a frame with sliders for the aesthetics but don't believe the tensioner makes a difference in the riding characteristics other that the extra weight.
- same here; converted a Motobecane Ti 29er frame to SS and use a tensioner, and it's always run just fine.........of course, take care to get that chainline right.......

#19 ·
I have a dedicated frame with swinging dropouts.

We have experimented back and for on my wife's hardtail geared/SS. We use a Surly Singlulator. The issue I have found with the tensioner is that it doesn't always work with the gear combo you want. On my wife's Niner EMD 32x22 didn't work very well with the Singulator.....the chain was too long or too short. Too long, it wanted to skip. Too short it wouldn't go on. Tried both directions for tension. "Push Up" didn't work because the chain would drag on the underside of the chainstay. Push down, the chain was too long and would skip.

Finally changed the ring to a 30t and the cog to 21t and it fits great now without issues.

As a big mileage/big elevation rider, weight matters. Dragging around a 28 lbs. SS for 60-80 miles and 8-10K' ascent....didn't sound fun.

I do enjoy it.

#24 ·
Many here recommend getting your toes wet by using a tensioner. Fine, of course.

And many here have said weight doesn't matter.

If that's the case, then why not go and ride around with one gear just to try it out?

Just try riding in one gear, right? People do this. Usually when their shifter cables busts on a ride they have to.

I know a guy who hardly ever shifts, and he calls it single speeding. Of course it isn't. Still, he charges away just like a single speeder most of the time...except when he's going downhill. Then he's charging ahead with speed.

The down hill aspect of single speeding is something to get used to. Because one is often in too low of a gear to apply any torque with which to gain velocity or help manual the front end upwards, and other things, the bike feels a bit dead. Of court it's dead, it's a bike. But you'll know what I mean.

Yeah, I think most of us who thought about trying SS, started with the experiment of not shifting. I did. It's hard to resist shifting since we do it often without thinking.

A lot, perhaps most, of us ride geared bikes as well. Sometimes we might even try to shift a shifter that isn't there.

It's kind of like riding a bike without a seat dropper post when you're used to one. It's like, woah, no seat dropper!

There's nothing wrong with a tensioner, as long as it works. The two things about them that bug me: The extra perhaps negligible sound they make. And the small amount drag.

Knowing about that would bug me. But nothing's perfect.

I'll throw in another aspect. That's bike fit. I've found I set a bike frame up differently if it's a single speed vs geared. But the fit aspect comes later, after a lot of riding and thinking something is a little off. And that search for the right stem, handlebar, and seat position is like the slow migration of turtles across the ocean.

So try riding around without shifting.

When I did that, it sucked!

I knew I needed a real single speed to experience it. Because it's not just about the ups.

Think about the flatter sections of a ride where on a single speed you're at a disadvantage. There are a lot of places it's hard or impossible to keep up with geared bike.

My wife and I call it crazy legs when you soon as fast a possible. At first it's hard to pedal fast without bouncing up and down too much.

After a while a rounder smoother spin can be developed. It takes some energy. You can do that in sections, up until you spin out, and cannot hold it any more. A weird exercise that can hurt the knees and the crotch!

The entire SS bike and ride is an oxymoronic uncompromising compromise.

Like it or not, if you really get into it, it's hard to stop. Well it is that way for me.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

#28 ·
Lots of helpful info in this thread, thanks again. Good to know about that Zinger to convert XD to SS. I found some threads from a few years ago where the conclusion was that it wasn’t really possible to do XD single speed.

Well, I jumped in and ordered a frame. Found a decent deal on a Santa Cruz chameleon. Ive been planning to get an all mountain hard tail for awhile, and this thread helped me decide on a frame with sliding dropouts. Not a huge risk; if I find that SS isn’t for me, it will be easy and relatively cheap to convert to gears. I suspect I may end up swapping back and forth between SS and gears every year or so. And if I REALLY like it, maybe an onyx SS hub is in my future. (I’m running an onyx on another bike and it’s amazing. I imagine a silent hub with a near silent drive train would be spectacular.)

#34 ·
Lots of helpful info in this thread, thanks again. Good to know about that Zinger to convert XD to SS. I found some threads from a few years ago where the conclusion was that it wasn't really possible to do XD single speed.

Well, I jumped in and ordered a frame. Found a decent deal on a Santa Cruz chameleon. Ive been planning to get an all mountain hard tail for awhile, and this thread helped me decide on a frame with sliding dropouts. Not a huge risk; if I find that SS isn't for me, it will be easy and relatively cheap to convert to gears. I suspect I may end up swapping back and forth between SS and gears every year or so. And if I REALLY like it, maybe an onyx SS hub is in my future. (I'm running an onyx on another bike and it's amazing. I imagine a silent hub with a near silent drive train would be spectacular.)

Good choice. I haven't ridden that specific frame, but it's called a chameleon for a reason. You can't go wrong with it. You'll find a nice build, SS or gears or both, for it.

#29 ·
+1 for buy a cheap SS and see if you develop "the sickness" lol

I started of with a Trek Rig, then went to a Niner SIR 9 (both had eccentric bottom brackets (no chain tensioner needed) that worked fine for me). I now have two custom steel rigid 29er single speeds (one with Paragon sliders, the other with Paragon rockers on the 135mm rears that can also do 142x12 if needed) and a couple of geared bikes too.

I still prefer riding SS on trails more often than less and have no problem keeping up with all but the crazy fast geared riders.

It took me ~3 or so months to get used to the change in cadence (can't really be in a hurry to get somewhere or you may spin/churn yourself insane until you sort out appropriate gearing for your terrain and endurance level). Side benefit of pedaling SS for a while was that my geared climbing endurance improved substantially as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.