Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Oval chainrings for SS???

9K views 12 replies 13 participants last post by  NordieBoy 
#1 ·
I’m old enough to remember Bio-pace chainrings, and here were are, having come full circle (ish) to where they are popular again.

Is anybody running them on a singlespeed, and if so, how do you like it? I’m contemplating an absolute black oval ring...

#3 ·
Modern ovals are clocked much different than bio-pace, it's not the same thing at all. I've had an AB oval on my SS for ~3 years now. I like it a lot.

That said I have a round ring on my 29+ SS and it's fine too.

#7 ·
Another satisfied user here.
Neutrino Components 32T oval pictured here:
Blue Gear Majorelle blue Circle Electric blue

It's not a 'game changer', but I like it. FWIW, I've ridden 34x20 round and 32x19 oval back-to back (very very close in gain ratio) and felt like I could tell a difference in how fast my legs 'recovered' after a climb with oval.

If you're asking "can it be done?": absolutely 100% yes. I've not found any more difference in chain tension between the oval in "tall" and oval in "flat"than I did in normal variation in traditional chainrings. Honestly, a direct-mount style ring is so wonderfully concentric that those things are a thing of the past.

If you're asking "Is it better?" : Well that's subjective. I know some guys that like it for gears, but not SS or vice-versa, or for MTN but not road, and one guy that likes oval on his reg 29x2.25 SS race bike, but not on his 29x3.0 daily-driver.

Only you can decide.

Edit: stupid pic wont orient right. grrr.

#8 ·
I can give you a data point from the perspective of someone who rides an AB oval and exclusively SS/rigid and didn't do a whole lot of research before trying it. I like to stand and mash for climbs and prefer to not spin. I use a normal "2:1@26" ratio. I thought everyone who rides SS stands and mashes but found some people like to spin fast up hills - which seems counter to the point of SS but ok. So keep in mind I stand and mash. Anyway, what I found is the oval gives me the slightest bit of extra leverage on climbs that allows me to really get in a good rhythm. On the flats I don't really notice it too much but it does break up the boredom as I can feel it pulse depending on how much pedal input I give on certain parts of the stroke. On climbs, my brain seems to have figured out how to use the leverage along with the normal upper body pulling on the bars. It was very noticeable for me on this aspect. Another thing is on climbs, you can feather the input better and in fact I do get better traction which is most noticeable on slippery stuff. While writing this up I went back and looked at some of the hype and I have to say the claims seem to be true. One gotcha that I ran in to: I ride 32:18@27.5+ so went with 32t AB Oval. Since I use a 104 BCD crank, I had to be mindful of proper chainring bolt length, spider/chain clearance, etc. It's mentioned here and there but just keep in mind you will want to get this understood if you go with 32 tooth and 104BCD cranks. (Ref: Kona Unit 2018, Shimano Zee 104 BCD cranks, Absolute Black 104/64 Oval 32t, Surly 18t, KMC X8.93)

#9 · (Edited)
- another absoluteBlack user, been running a 32T for a couple of years now, like it just fine.....started SSing on regular round ring but do like the oval - that said, sometimes it's easy to over-torque when in slightly muddy conditions but that could be true with any ring if you stand going up hill........

#10 ·
I wanted to gear down from 32x18 to 30x18 and decided to try an oval ring (absolute black snaggletooth). I also have a wolftooth oval on my geared Stache (came that way). On the geared bike it's fine but I don't like it on the SS. I had been riding SS for 10 years and I've developed a mashing habit wherein I use my upper body to push the bike forward over the deadspot of my pedal stroke when climbing something really steep. The oval makes this feel weird and I can't find my rhythm as well in these situations. I don't hate it enough to throw it in the trash so I'm trying to wear it out, but I won't buy another when this one bites the dust.

#11 ·
My experience is similar to others here. I have had an AB oval since the first run of them (can't remember the year). I like it. I notice it most when climbing long non-technical climbs. Just makes my climbing spin smoother. I also tried a 46 tooth on my geared gravel bike recently which I also like.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.