Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Best practices for cantilever pad setup. Goat got some new stoppers

729 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  mainlyfats 
#1 ·
Finally removed all evidence of V-brakes from the Goat. Added some black Suntour brakes & hangers to match the rest of the build. Looks much better now.

I would like some advice on setting up the brakes & pads. Any best practices out there to easily set toe & all that would be much appreciated.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
See if you can find Keith Bontrages article about cantilever setup. I did way back and was able to use 1 finger. Don't recall the deets now.

Sent from my SM-G935S using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Getting the cables right - de-burred and properly round - plays a big part in this. Sharp cutters are key.

Assuring that the brakes are a good fit on the posts is also important. Filing a post where necessary can result in less play and better, more positive, contact.

Last tip I have is using a brake that has no tension you are setting the pad. With internal springs (like your Suntours), try taking the spring out until the pad is set just right. With Paul brakes (my fav) or old post-mounts, the disengagement is easy and makes perfect toe and placement easy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.