Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Catalyst Pedals

4K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  brucemit 
#1 · (Edited)
Anybody have any experience with these?

Line Maroon Rectangle Parallel Symmetry

They're easily the longest pedal (5.63") around and basically mandate an arch-over-axle foot position, which is well forward of using standard cleats. You can use a arch-over-axle position with normal flats or custom-drilled SPD shoes, but seems to bring problems.

Ignoring the company's annoying advertising, the reviews are generally positive with users impressed with the ability to put down power while standing. I know I put down more power with my cleats rearward, so why not move the foot forward some more? Will it lead to less rear tire traction? Purchase of a longer frame?

It seems these pedals would take your ankles largely out of the equation. I'd guess that'd be both a blessing (less stress on calf muscle, Achilles tendon, ankle, etc.) and a curse (less bike control, although the reviews don't reflect this).

Thoughts?

See less See more
#5 ·
Had a few sets. I don't love them, or hate them.

What they did show me, is that the mid-foot pedaling position is where I like to be. Now I use DMR V12's and put my foot in the middle. Feels the same basically.

I never really noticed less bike control or any issues like that. I did have some issues with developing play in one pedal. When I pulled it apart, the threads on the end of the spindle were stripped. The pedals could be rebuilt, but they were only a few months old.

Love my V12's.

#6 ·
I bought some OneUp composites ~1 year ago for $50. I put them on a road bike to get a sense of them to see if it was worth investing in some proper shoes. They felt all wrong so I gave them away. I didn't consider riding them with arches-over-axles, but perhaps for the best - I have very high arches and don't want to trigger another round of plantar fascitis. The Catalyst pedals supposedly avoid plantar fascitis by providing more fore/aft support (which does make sense). Honestly, the idea of climbing standing with arches over axles on typical flat pedals sounds pretty awful. Even non-carbon SPD shoes give me problems.

Here they are unboxed, next to my SPDs. And I picked up some Five Tens locally.

Hardwood Nail Wood stain Walking shoe Still life photography

#7 ·
I keep thinking about trying some, but just cant justify the investment after having to buy shoes that I will potentally may never use (and honestly the weight). I race my SS in LONG events like 100 milers and 12-24 hour stuff, I feel like flats would be both good and bad in those events. Good in that I could have more freedom of foot position if things start feeling uncomfortable but bad in the general since of riding flats while racing a single speed... I am on the fence but lean heavy toward not using them.

#9 ·
This was 1 of 2 reasons I bought them. I have very long inseams, high arches, scrawny ankles, and my right ankle is a mess. Poor seated power especially at low cadence (no torque). I've been struggling with cleat positions (fore/after, left/right, and toe out), saddle position, etc. for years.

A ~1 hour ride last night was a real eye opener. It's not that I was generating more power as much as the power I was making was GOING DOWN. Feels so much more efficient because power isn't being siphoned off in my long flimsy chain of joints/muscles. Way more low-rpm torque. The most surprising thing was the upgrade in seated power. Wasn't expecting that at all. Way more quad engagement and ability to press DOWN. This is in part because I was able to move my saddle forward. Definitely now more centered between the wheels instead of my old-school, hanging-off-the-back position I'd taken refuge in. I even nailed a sharp downhill turn I've been choking on for years. After just one ride, I can't imagine going back to SPDs.

#11 ·
Just got mine in the mail today so I'm excited to try them out and I'll report back. I've read a lot and seen others reviews and the concept really makes sense. I've been an advocate for flat pedals even though I come from a road and cyclocross background. Flat pedals have given me a lot of confidence and have helped me to learn the proper technique which has really transferred to my cyclocross. I've been running the OneUp Composites which have been great so I excited to try the Catalyst.

#13 ·
I am curious how they work on steep nasty climbs. I like to climb as much hard stuff as I can and know I definitely use the fact that I am clipped in to aid me at times. I don't see flats being a problem with a geared bike, but on a SS you need everything you can get.

#14 ·
Same. I ride flats on all my mtbs besides my SS. I still "cheat" and pull up on some of the nastier and steep climbs. It's about the only time I put a foot down when riding the geared bikes, though I am getting better at rotating my foot to keep pressure on the pedals.

#15 ·
Update

After 3 short rides on my SS, I tried the Catalyst pedals on my full suspension bike where I found they're a better match. The forward rider position made the Unit's cockpit cramped and it's nose heavy - the last things I want in a SS. But on the Pivot they give me a more neutral position and keep the front weighted better (which I needed). SPDs going back on the Unit, with mixed feelings.

#17 · (Edited)
oops sorry i didn't realize i was on a SS thread

I'm an enthusiastic convert as of about two months ago. 64 yrs, 5-8, 155, reasonably fit, not overly concerned about speed, riding a Ripley v4 (that's another story - love this bike).

oops, sorry, didn't see this is an SS-category thread... my bad. maybe I should delete all this, but you can skip the rest if you don't want the geared bike point of view.

Have been trail-riding flats for years (for safety and comfort). I get more climbing power and more relaxed legs all around on the Catalyst pedals. I'd tried mid-foot before but this pedal makes it work in a very natural way. I notice my legs are less fatigued after big rides. No issues with pedal strikes or other worries about weight or size of pedal. They feel great.

Haven't seen much mention of how solid these are when descending. Downhill flow is really nice standing on these big decks with relaxed achilles and calves. Rock solid.

I don't know for super-aggressive or racing riders, but for me on Norcal trails these are just excellent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.