Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Threaded to Threadless

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  BrianU 
#1 ·
I just purchased a 1993 stumpjumper fs and removed the non-working fork. Now that I've got it out and I am planning on swapping in a threadless fork - do I need to add more to my original steerer tube measurement to accommodate the threadless equipment or can I shop for a new fork with the same steerer tube length?

Wood Hardwood Flooring Wood stain Beige

Thanks for the help

See less See more
#3 ·
While what you want to do is not a difficult task, it does require a good understanding of the two systems. I found this video and while it is obviously very dated, is does explain the basic differences between the two types of stems.

As the video shows, since the threadless stem clamps directly to the steerer tube, a threadless steerer fork will require a longer steerer tube than the fork you currently have. This will also require a different stem and changing the headset as well.

There are people on this forum that have done what you asking about, on the exact bike you have. Maybe one of them can chime in with details.

#5 ·
It depends on your stem, but generally 40 - 45mm or so and that would be with zero headset spacers. You basically want the exposed steerer to fit most of the stem clamp height with just a small amount left so the cap can fit on and not be pushed up by the steerer.

#6 ·
When I would install a new threadless setup, I would assemble the whole thing in the repair stand (headset, stem, spacers), make sure it all was seated firmly, then mark the steerer tube at the top of the whole stack with a Sharpie. Then I would pull the fork, and cut it about 3mm below the mark.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.