Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Burped a Ton of Air - Long Term Fix? (2016 Reba)

654 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  One Pivot 
#1 ·
Reba came on a new bike two years ago. Haven't touched it since (never added air, never serviced). Probably have 100 hours on it.

Last ride it seemed really squishy. Got out shock pump. It was at 35 psi. Pumped it to 105 psi (RS recommendation for my weight).

After pumping tested sag. Sag = 0%. Stood with front wheel between legs, put all my weight on handlebars, lifted legs to suspend myself on bars and still no budge. Took all my effort to get any movement.

Did some googling / reading. Heard about the burp trick.

Burped air side. Tons of air. Came out for probably 4-5 seconds. Some oil too (see pic below).

Attempted to burp other side: nothing.

Tested sag. Sag now = 20% :)

I guess I can keep burping it as needed.

But planning on "50 hour" service so and figured I might as well take a stab at a longer term fix while I have it apart.

Based on symptoms described above, can anyone tell me which part / o-ring / seal is the likely culprit? Or what I need to do to fix?

I found another thread where someone suggested "Your spring is leaking into the lowers. You just need to replace the lower seal head."

But I don't see "lower seal head" listed on the SRAM diagram (see page 6 of pdf).

Could anyone confirm whether this is a lower seal head issue?

And, if so, translate "lower seal head" to the official name listed on the SRAM manual so I know exactly what I'm looking for?

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Mode of transport Bicycle part Automotive tire

See less See more
#2 ·
You need to drop the lowers to freshen the bushing oil more often, otherwise your fork won’t last too long. You sound very capable of doing the job! While you’re in there make sure you do the air spring service. All you need is the kit, some sram butter or slick honey and a tool to remove the air spring. For the pike/lyrik the tool is just a circlip plier.

#3 ·
You need to drop the lowers to freshen the bushing oil more often, otherwise your fork won't last too long. You sound very capable of doing the job! While you're in there make sure you do the air spring service. All you need is the kit, some sram butter or slick honey and a tool to remove the air spring. For the pike/lyrik the tool is just a circlip plier.
Planning on doing the 50 hours / lower service. Not sure I want start with the full 200 hours service / uppers service that I think you're suggesting when you say "air spring service." But I might give it a go.

What is the "tool to remove the air spring" you reference? Are you just talking about a 24mm socket? I've watched some videos and I didn't notice any special tools.

#4 ·
The air spring seals are basically orings. They start out round and end up flat on the sides from wear. It's critical that you replace the orings and grease up the piston often to keep your air spring feeling fresh.

Just follow the instructions here. It will tell you what tools you need. But based on the diagram pic looks like you just need retaining ring (circlip) pliers.

https://www.sram.com/sites/default/files/techdocs/gen_0000000004977_rev_a_2016_bluto_reba_0.pdf

#7 ·
I guess they're calling it an "air shaft guide". Its really a lower seal head.

The full service kit on amazon has the seal head and what looks like literally everything else in the fork! Only $30.

Or throw a tora coil spring in there and never worry about your spring ever again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.