Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Best light SS Chain

2K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  dtownmtb 
#1 ·
Man, I know this topic has been beat to death, but folks like KMC keep coming out with new chain types that are a little lighter and pretty cheap.
OK, so here's the question, best lightweight chain for the $... if it's more than $20, don't post it. If it's a SRAM chain, don't post it... I love cheap and reliable and have been running KMC 8.93 chains for years and love them. Amazon has them for under $8 a piece! But if someone has found another KMC chain that rocks for under $20 and a bit lighter, I could be swayed...

#4 ·
second that. always remember keith's sage advice: light, strong, cheap... pick two.

that being said, Sram's PC-1 will always be the only singlespeed chain for me... I'll let you guess which two of the three aforementioned descriptors I think best describe this chain.

#5 ·
Ha. I like how single speed = simple = cheap on most people's minds.

I won't use anything else besides a Sram Eagle 12 speed chain. And it has to be gold.

I guess I'm not in the same camp as most SS'ers.

Reactions: mack_turtle
#6 ·
The words 'light' and 'chain' should not be used together when talking about a singlespeed bike. Saving a couple of grams? Stick with what's working for you.

I've settled on older SRAM 8 speed chains, PC58 and PC68. I picked up a box of them super cheap when they were discontinued many years ago and have enough for the rest of my cycling life. They've been the most reliable and longest lasting for me. I tried a PC1 at one point, it stretched super fast and made lots of weird pinging noises. I went back to the 8 speed chains and made some Christmas ornaments out of the PC1...

#14 ·
i am gonna agree with everyone about not using a "light" chain but i weigh 225 so if your a hundred less or so feel free to ignore me... ;)

i also like the kmc chains but think maybe the shimano are SLIGHTLY better? i have had really good luck with these:
https://www.biketiresdirect.com/pro...rSEX4s2CXu2ixgl58etBRkBqDRYcaeeoaAj2QEALw_wcB

under 20 bucks; no clue how light; but shimano has some of the longest wearing metal parts i have used and i think the chains are right up there with everything else.

the SRAM chins are very stretchy IMHO unless you get the nicer ones which are still not better than the shimano or kmc basic chains. I wouldn't use a PC-1 if you gave me it free; worst chain EVAR.

#15 ·
Funny, I've had pretty good luck with SRAM chains. I'll run whatever speed in a 50 level (850 or 1051) and usually go through around two per year. I usually swap them about the time that the factory lube is completely gone. I'll supplement with some Tenacious oil, but once it starts to get really dry and gritty it's about time to change it anyway in my experience.

#16 ·
How about free?

I've always used the chains from my geary. Once they get a little worn on the geared bike, they are ready for the SS. I know that will horrify some folks, but I've probably broken one chain on my SS in 15 years. And that's with doing a ton of miles.

A friend of mine has run a chain until the rollers started falling off the links. You can get away with alot on an SS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.