Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

New redline monocog!

14K views 36 replies 16 participants last post by  AbnInf 
#1 ·
Got this thing thrown together in about 20 mins and took her out for a Maiden hood bashing sesh .. Man this thing is fun!

Had a store credit I needed to use that prompted this buy and I really wanted a neighborhood rigid SS rig .. this thing fits the bill nicely! Good looking bike too.. Everyone that has thrown a leg over it has been impressed so far, it does a good job of making you feel like a kid again for sure with a big BMX feel

The 26.8 seat post is funky -- However I plan to ride a slammed seat on this one so not biggie

Tire clearance looks pretty good -- Looks like 2.5 will clear in the back and 2.8 or 3.0 in the front .. so some options there. I will most likely be running light and fast XC tires tho

Rims = Says they are double wall -- Can I just yank the tubes and seal em up?? Already had to swap one tube after about 10 miles due to the large amount of goatheads hanging around my area

Brakes = The mech brakes actually work pretty good, They will be upgraded to some Hydros shortly (I'm Fat)

Bars & Grips = Suck -- Will be upgrading those today

Anybody else rocking one of these new ones yet? Here's some pics, the color is awesome in person.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Rims = Says they are double wall -- Can I just yank the tubes and seal em up?? Already had to swap one tube after about 10 miles due to the large amount of goatheads hanging around my area
Not unless they're labeled as Tubeless Ready. Double walled has nothing to do with tubeless compatibility.

Please don't weight it. Never weigh a cheap bike, it will only end in disappointment. I absolutely cringe when the first comment on a thread like this is "how much does it weigh?"

It doesn't matter, it's cool, just go ride it. It doesn't sound like we are discussing the next World Cup race bike, it is what it is.

#5 ·
I could care less what it weighs honestly .. My main trail bike is a 35lb steel Hardtail on plus tires lol

What I can say is that it feels a lot lighter than it is when your pedaling it!

I will try to do some more research on the rims -- Was hoping there was a couple peeps on here with the new one already I could get some info from but doesn't sound like it yet...

#8 ·
They're not tubeless. It's possible that you may be able to get tubeless tires to mount up, but if you loose air pressure the bead of the tire will likely unseat as the rim doesn't have a tubeless bead shelf or "lock". Those tires are also probably not tubeless.

I'd just run tubes for a more reliable setup.

#13 ·
Got this thing thrown together in about 20 mins and took her out for a Maiden hood bashing sesh .. Man this thing is fun!

Had a store credit I needed to use that prompted this buy and I really wanted a neighborhood rigid SS rig .. this thing fits the bill nicely! Good looking bike too.. Everyone that has thrown a leg over it has been impressed so far, it does a good job of making you feel like a kid again for sure with a big BMX feel

The 26.8 seat post is funky -- However I plan to ride a slammed seat on this one so not biggie

Tire clearance looks pretty good -- Looks like 2.5 will clear in the back and 2.8 or 3.0 in the front .. so some options there. I will most likely be running light and fast XC tires tho

Brakes = The mech brakes actually work pretty good, They will be upgraded to some Hydros shortly (I'm Fat)

Bars & Grips = Suck -- Will be upgrading those today

Anybody else rocking one of these new ones yet? Here's some pics, the color is awesome in person.
Always wanted one... still keep looking for one every now and again... wish they didn't stop making them.

#18 ·
Couple New upgrades

Did a few more things on it today..

Got a 35mm Stem and some 40mm Rise bars -- Cut about 20mm off each side of the Spank 785 bars to make them about 750 wide. Threw a light coat of OD green rattlecan on the top of the fork just to cover up the raw steel since the fifty-fifty stem I had let's you see thru. Also cut about 7" off the stock seat post since I'm ridding slammed to shed a little weight.

I've def made it more BMX feeling .. Next up some old carbon brakes, pedals, and some XC tires mounted up tubeless!

Attachments

#21 ·
Moe Parts!

Got a few more things added this week!

29 x 2.35 Rock Razors mounted up tubeless on the stock rims -- Working great so far -- they roll fast and a little more comfy ride from the volume increase

Sram XX brakes -- were a freebie from a friend -- Had to buy new pads and 1 new rotor -- fresh fluid and they are working great. I have a new 160 rotor coming for the back to match now tho.

Some cheap Raceface plastic pedals -- love em!

Coming along nicely -- Time to ride it!

Attachments

#33 ·
There's a SF listed for sale locally but I cannot get the seller to respond. It's either sold already or something else is up. The light weight really appeals to me as I just wanna go fast, lol.

Appreciate the feedback. Can't afford a new bike so I'll be keeping an eye out on the classifieds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.