Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Need Advices about choosing my 1st mtb....

2K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  pulsepro 
#1 ·
Hello MTB enthusiast...
I need some advices about choosing my 1st mtb bike. I prefer to own vintage/classic mtb cause I'd like to brought back some nostalgic event when i was in high school. I just want to ride it on the road or modest xcountry...I'd like the bike around early 90's.
I have budget around 1500$, and on my lists base on surfing online, I hope i can find 'a flagship' bike product from its brand. Here are the list:
1. Bridgestone MB-0/MB-1
2. Panasonic Pro-team
3. KHS Montana team / Pro
4. Ritchey P-20 / P-21
5. Miyata team
6. Klein Top Gun

According to your knowledge and experiences, guys...what bike on above list should i choose??...

I am looking forward for your advices and explanation and deeply appreciate for your kind attention...:)

Best regard,
alan

See less See more
#2 ·
I’d recommend that you don’t get an old bike. If this is your first MTB, I think you’d have a better experience learning on a modern bike. For example, a hardtail 29er. VRC bikes are great, but newer bikes , in general, are much better to learn on. Just my opinion.

If I were forced to pick from your list, I’d go with the Bridgestone.

#7 ·
I'd recommend that you don't get an old bike. If this is your first MTB, I think you'd have a better experience learning on a modern bike. For example, a hardtail 29er. VRC bikes are great, but newer bikes , in general, are much better to learn on. Just my opinion.

If I were forced to pick from your list, I'd go with the Bridgestone.
In my opinion, new bike with 'high-grade' series is rather pricey for me....I consider also if I would resale it...

#3 ·
1. Bridgestone MB-0/MB-1
2. Panasonic Pro-team
3. KHS Montana team / Pro
4. Ritchey P-20 / P-21
5. Miyata team
6. Klein Top Gun
1. MB-0 (Zips) are investment-grade. Very nice, traditional geometry bikes with Mavic bits. MB-1 is fine, but most that I've seen have been Riv'd into commuters by now.
2. Panasonic Pro-team we didn't see much of in Canada. Panasonics are generally very high quality bikes though. I'd be interested in how you could nostalgic for this though.
3. KHS Montana Pro. These were cheap, price-point bikes in NA. People would buy them, move the XTR parts over to a "real" frame and turn the Pro into a beater bar-bike. Decent bikes, but they get a meh in terms of rarity or value.
4. Ritchey P-20/21. I don't know if you've ever seen a P-20 in person, but I wouldn't call them durable. If you can find one that hasn't been ridden, at your price, then this would be a great bike as long as you're not really tall or heavy. P-21's are great bikes. Big fan of old steel Ritcheys.
5. Miyata's are solid, excellent bikes. Unless you're nostalgic for Greg Herbold, they have absolutely no emotional resonance though.
6. You can't afford a Top Gun.

Look at Fat Chances and Merlins, too. Great value in looking into lesser-known single builder names like Rock Lobster, Ted Wojcik and Otis Guy from this era.

#4 ·
They are all pretty nice bikes. The Bridgestone and Ritchey have a cult following. Which is good as far as resale value goes. I’ve always liked Stumpjumpers. They are are affordable and every bit as good as the bikes on your list. Good luck and happy hunting.

#17 ·
Its funny, i just did a spur of the moment trail ride on my ‘93 Fat Chance 10th this past weekend, in the middle of a 38 mile road ride. It was pretty fun, but i was questioning my sanity as here i was on a trail with some heavy mud puddles with 1.5 slicks pumped to 70 psi and canti brakes. As obsolete as me! Lol.
My normal trail bike is a yeti sb66c.
I cant argue with disc brakes though, my next bike on order is a cross with discs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.