Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

New generation Karate Monkey question gnot boost and 135

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  mountainbiker24 
#1 ·
This bike is on my short list and I have a question about the gnot boost spacing. I saw the surly video, but I'm still confused. Anyways, I want to use these with 135mm hubs so I need to use the spacers that come with a new frame. Is there a way I can run it SS with my Shimano QR or would I need to use the 10mm axel that's supplied with the frame? If I used the axel, I'm assuming my spacers would fall into the woods when I removed the wheel unless I pulled it from the rear of the bike. Would the spacers stay in place easy enough after installing a tube or would I need to be tinkering with them? How much of a pain is this system or am I worried for nothing?

Thanks in advance,

Rodney

#2 ·
I might be a bit late here, but I can tell you my experiences. First of all, my frame did not come with any spacers/adapters. There are 2 different adapters for 135mm hubs. One is for 10mm bolt axles, and the other is for regular quick-releases. I used the 10mm bolt adapter without issue, but I have no experience with the qr. I doubt the qr will hold without some sort of tensioner, but I could be wrong. The supplied axle is 12mm, not 10, and is only useful with a 142 or 148 Boost hub. The system is easy to use, but the adapters are obviously not connected to the hub/axle, so you would need to keep an eye on them on the trail. I might be misunderstanding some of what you are saying, and my frame is last year's purple, so maybe it comes with different extras.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.