Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Who’s gone back to 26” wheels?

5K views 37 replies 30 participants last post by  one piece crank 
#1 ·
Curious who’s gone from 29/27.5 back to the original roots of 26”? I am thinking of picking up a 26” SS again to relive the glory days. And V Brakes!!! Ha ha

#2 · (Edited)
I did... as a 'B' bike to switch things up. Last December I found a 2007 Surly 1x1 (commuter mode) in near mint condition. I changed a few things up to mountain bike mode.. Rigid, Tubes, V-Brakes, Gravity Dropper Descender (pull pin), Old heavy DH Minions.
It's a riot chunkin' around the North Shore. It gave me a different appreciation for the trails I ride week to week, the lines I choose, the bike/body proprioception, how gnarly the riders who came before us were. I wouldn't go this route as my main bike but to change things up it's super fun.

Attachments

#3 ·
Curious who's gone from 29/27.5 back to the original roots of 26"? I am thinking of picking up a 26" SS again to relive the glory days. And V Brakes!!! Ha ha
I've returned to 26" (and v-brakes) but not because of some "glory days". I have owned both of the other wheel sizes and 26" just works better for me. Also, for the conditions where I ride, good v-brakes are all I need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#4 ·
Curious who's gone from 29/27.5 back to the original roots of 26"? I am thinking of picking up a 26" SS again to relive the glory days. And V Brakes!!! Ha ha
Well
I got to ride most sizes most days at work.
I can not believe I rode on 26" mountain bikes for so long (started in 1985) I ride only 29"ers or a 29+ myself and don't even plan on going back to baby wheels.
I have too be careful riding a 26" MTB too not washout.
Wheel size is thebest improvement in mountain biking since forever.

Time to go riding [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

#6 ·
I think it'd be fun in a retro way, but not as primary bike. (you'll have to pry my 29+ from my cold dead hands)

I'm about to build my first 26" bike, but it's a dirt jumper so not the same. Still counts as a steel SS though.

#8 ·
I keep going bigger. Rode 26" till 2016, Then 29. Tried 27.5 and needed more diameter so squeezed 2.6 on frame that should old fit 2.4. Just converted my 29er SS to 29+. I just love the rollover for all the rocks in Arizona.

#10 ·
My hardtail SS is an old (2001) Homegrown and is still rollin on 26ers. My other Homegrown (a '99 SweetSpot) has been converted to 27.5 and it has become my go to bike (mostly).

To tell the truth, I'm planning to "upgrade" the '01 to 27.5"

#12 ·
Surly Lowside! 26+ if that counts. This year I went from all 29ers to a 27.5 trail bike, 26" downhill bike, and the 26+ Lowside. Spent far more time on the two 26" bikes than the 27.5 bike this summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 ·
Haha, Just finished building my Santacruz Nomad 1 (2005 to 2008) from the frame up with 26" wheels. Been riding a SS HT 27.5" and 27.5" full susser for the last year. Been on the 26" for the last 3 days and I love it!!!!

#16 ·
I never left. All my bikes are still 26'rs.

#17 ·
My backup is 2012 SC Heckler 26"...I've been on '18 Kona Process 153 (27.5) for over a year. In that time the Heckler has not been used ONCE (and I loved that bike). I think many overlook the fact that 'older' 26" bikes typically have a very different geo than todays bikes. The geo change is the biggest reason I have no desire to break out the Heckler. It's there if I need it but the newer Kona is superior regarding fun and capabilities.

#22 ·
- that's exactly why I went to 29 = I got an incredible deal (traded my old 26" commuter for my KHS Solo One SE 29er SS + $50), then took the $50 and funneled it right back into the bike in upgrades.....for someone 6'1", I felt a bit more integrated with the bike than on a 26" bike........

#23 ·
I've never left 26" wheels, and the V brakes with ceramic pads stop just fine. My full squish is also a custom frame with current geo and 26". It's ten years old this year but still going strong.

I volunteer at the LBS and test ride the bikes before letting the customer know the repair is done. I don't care for 29" wheels because every bike feels like I'm riding on top of the bike, even the brand new Intense I built this morning.

Attachments

#27 ·
I've been back on the my old blur after breaking my Slayer. Ive got to admit it was fun. Old Geo is steep. But that didn't matter until I hit the super steep. To be honest I was still riding at the front of the pack waiting for others to catch up. So even though the Slayer feels so my better my speed was similar.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.