Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1997 Cannondale Killer V Restomod- Marzocchi Z.1 BAM Bomber

6K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  MendonCycleSmith 
#1 ·
1997 Cannondale M400 Killer V Restomod 26 inch

Photos not in a proper order, but Yellow/red scheme was original, Grey/black is now.

This bike was new to me back in 1998/1999. It was won by my aunt in a raffle. I purchased off her and rode it around a bit back then. It had a low level Rock Shox fork on it that I have never been able to identify. Had very limited travel and adjustment knobs never seemed to make a difference.

In 2008, I was riding the bike in college and bent a wheel. I decided to replace the wheelset with Mavic Crossride UB wheels and at the time I installed a new Easton EA70 Monkey Bar Riser and Stem. These small mods made it nicer to ride around campus.

The bike sat virtually unused for about the last ten years. The frame has very minor scrapes, and the components saw very little use for a bike of its age.
Fast forward to 2018. I wanted to use the bike again, but it needed some love. The current tech and standards are far from this relic. I decided to restore it and make it a color scheme I actually liked. The very loud mango and red was too much for me. I decided to strip the bike down to the frame and restore or replace every component. The frame had absolutely zero dents, or any major issues. Most of the components had some surface rust, but otherwise were in excellent shape.

I will list below, but nearly everything was replaced with newer, better components. My first task was to find a fork from that era in good shape, and that had the proper straight through 1 1/8 inch steerer with a usable length on the steerer tube. I came across a gem of a fork in this legendary Marzocchi Z.1 BAM 130mm fork from 1999. It had just a hair over the length I needed and was in excellent shape. It needed new seals and oil which was not a big deal. When I broke it down and drained the oil I am convinced it was all original oil and seals from 1999. The smaller components were all sourced from various online retailers and over the course of two months I assembled this bike.

The frame is a size small or medium and has an October 1997 date according to its serial number. Originally it was an "m400," but was an odd frame with the V option. I am not a big person 5'6" so it fits me well. As for the people who say why not put the money into a new bike…This thing is flat out cool to me and that wasn't the point. I am very happy with the outcome and the mix of old and new tech. Hope people enjoy this, and it will be put to good use. I plan to ride this thing and get it dirty and enjoy it. On to some photos of the whole process and a list of components.

The only original components left are:
• Frame
• Seatpost clamp
• Drivetrain (3x7) and cranks

Component List:
• 1997 Cannondale V Frame
• 1999 Marzocchi Z.1 BAM 130mm Fork
• Enduro Seals and wipers 30mm
• Spectro Golden 125/150 7.5W Oil (Original spec from Marzocchi)
• Cane Creek Forty Headset (Replaced AHeadset)
• Hope Space Doctor Headset Spacers
• Mavic Crossride UB Wheelset 26 inch
• Shimano UB 55 Bottom Bracket (Upgraded from UB27)- 68x110 Square Taper
• Shimano Deore T610 V Brakes F/R
• Shimano Revoshift Shifters 3x7
• Lizard Skin Lock on shorty grips
• Easton EA70 Monkey Bar Riser Handlebars
• Easton EA70 Seatpost
• WTB Volt Team Saddle
• SRAM Truvativ Hussefelt 40mm Stem
• Shimano SAINT MX80 Flat Pedals
• Shimano HG71 Chain
• Michelin Wild Grip'R2 26x2.1 Tires
• Schwalbe Tubes
• Shimano Deore T611 V Brake Levers
• Frame stripped and powder coated close to VW Nardo Grey- High gloss, no metallic
• Black vinyl decals by Gil from Retro Decals
• 170mm cranks powder coated semi gloss black Bicycle frame Blue Bicycle part Bicycle Bicycle handlebar
Textile Red Pattern Kitchen utensil Wool
Orange Amber Bicycle frame Steel Metal
Wood Chemical compound Rust
Composite material Steel
Yellow Kitchen utensil Office supplies Writing implement Collection
Bicycle frame Line Metal Steel Aluminium
Bicycle handlebar Bicycle part Bicycle saddle Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies
Bicycle frame Bicycle part Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle Bicycle handlebar
Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Mode of transport Bicycle part
Iron Bicycle frame Black Metal Bicycle part
Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part Bicycle frame Rim
Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle frame Wheel Bicycle wheel
Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel Bicycle part
Bicycle handlebar Bicycle accessory Bicycle Bicycle part Bicycles--Equipment and supplies
Bicycle handlebar Bicycle accessory Bicycle Bicycle part Bicycles--Equipment and supplies
Video projector Technology Shelf Electronic device Light

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Nice work. The uber cheapo Shimano rotational shifters make me feel kinda funny, but otherwise, if it blows your hair back, that's what it's all about.

Tastefully done!
I hear you. I thought about changing the entire drivetrain to something modern with trigger shifters, but in the end went with what it had originally. Still works great. Definitely old tech! Shocked they even still made new twist shifters.

#6 ·
Those aren't original shifters, or I'm mis-reading your comment.

Some folks like twisters (I'm not one of them) but Sram makes Shimano compatible ones, as well as (obviously) for their stuff, but they are not cross compatible.

Shimanos twisters pale in comparison, and are only found on kids bikes and junk under $400.

Your bike deserves better, and Shimano still makes RapidFire down to 8 speed. SunRace makes decent stuff for 7 if you're still there. Want twisters? Srams Shimano ones aren't offered at anything above basic, but they are still way better than those Shimano travesties.

Modern just adds gears, doesn't make things any better (ignore the company profit driven, consumer directed hype).

The only substantive change has been 1X set ups, which are nice for a few reasons, but still work no "better".

#7 ·
Correct, they are not original. They are the same style and properly indexed 3x7 which is what the original shifters were. I was out of the Bike scene when the newer style trigger or lever shifters started being big. I went with something cheap and similar to get the bike working and fall within my budget with this restoration. I get that they are cheap, but function fine at the moment.

If you have any actual suggestions as to a nice trigger style shifter that is compatible that would be great, I was unable to confirm what would work or not when acquiring parts. nothing is welded on or permanent so a shifter can be changed.

Did the twisters do something bad to you as a child? You seem very passionate about them.

Those aren't original shifters, or I'm mis-reading your comment.

Some folks like twisters (I'm not one of them) but Sram makes Shimano compatible ones, as well as (obviously) for their stuff, but they are not cross compatible.

Shimanos twisters pale in comparison, and are only found on kids bikes and junk under $400.

Your bike deserves better, and Shimano still makes RapidFire down to 8 speed. SunRace makes decent stuff for 7 if you're still there. Want twisters? Srams Shimano ones aren't offered at anything above basic, but they are still way better than those Shimano travesties.

Modern just adds gears, doesn't make things any better (ignore the company profit driven, consumer directed hype).

The only substantive change has been 1X set ups, which are nice for a few reasons, but still work no "better".

#11 ·
Oh, it's 7, thought it was 8....

No RapidFires left for 7, new. You can get used though.

Those thumbies would work pretty well, but the indexing between Shimano and Suntour is just off enough you may find it annoying.

Twisters and childhood? HA!

Nope. Just hate having my body english or shift of hand position, actuating shifts for me.

Beyond that, the Shimano twisters are super hard, cheapo plasticky, and break down a lot faster with use than the Sram versions. Not that the Sram ones aren't plasticky also.

Just repalced a buddies on his kids bike that was stiff and non functional after less than 2 years use.

Have folks on Sram MRX's that are many years old and still going strong.

You do you though, no worries. Just happy you're keeping an American made Cannondale running, as opposed to buying a Chinanndale....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.