Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

SB130 and SB150 issues?

206K views 1K replies 180 participants last post by  Jake_kth 
#1 ·
Are the two new bikes having some issues with play in the shock/fork?

I was reading something like that in one of the SB150 threads.

The SB130 was one of the bikes I was looking at before Outberbike this month.

Can anyone clarify if there is an issue going on?

#515 ·
I disagree JC822 - i support the fact SD keeps bringing the pain on Yeti for this stuff. I don't care what his agenda is... I care that Yeti aren't helping their customers.

I've just spent valuable time redishing my rear wheel which my Park WAG 5 says was correctly dished to start with to stop rub from 2.4 DHR. That's ridiculous. I also spent time masticing my down tube to fix their peeling off Down tube protector sucking up wet sand. My 8 yo could have QCed that and called it out for being unacceptable to send to a customer. Even if it was a 2k frame it would be crap.

Yeti have not publically acknowledged these issues and until they do they deserve to get shot down and loose sales from it. New customers unless they read this thread are not being warned.

Yeti

- admit your DT guard are farked and tell us your sorting it and when
- tell all new customers their bushing might be farked and how to sort them if they are
- tell all customers that a tyre over 60mm (2.35) will probably rub and that if it shags the frame you're going to cover it.

Until that happens - SD feel free to keep kicking them in the balls

#517 ·
I disagree JC822 - i support the fact SD keeps bringing the pain on Yeti for this stuff. I don't care what his agenda is... I care that Yeti aren't helping their customers.

I've just spent valuable time redishing my rear wheel which my Park WAG 5 says was correctly dished to start with to stop rub from 2.4 DHR. That's ridiculous. I also spent time masticing my down tube to fix their peeling off Down tube protector sucking up wet sand. My 8 yo could have QCed that and called it out for being unacceptable to send to a customer. Even if it was a 2k frame it would be crap.

Yeti have not publically acknowledged these issues and until they do they deserve to get shot down and loose sales from it. New customers unless they read this thread are not being warned.

Yeti

- admit your DT guard are farked and tell us your sorting it and when
- tell all new customers their bushing might be farked and how to sort them if they are
- tell all customers that a tyre over 60mm (2.35) will probably rub and that if it shags the frame you're going to cover it.

Until that happens - SD feel free to keep kicking them in the balls
I approve of this msg. [emoji108][emoji3]

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

#383 ·
I personally don't see how expressing issues one may have with an SB 130 or SB 150 in the thread specifically titled " sb130 sb150 issues" is "getting out of hand". Please explain.

I'm stoked for those who got a bike without issues. That is how it should be. I'm bummed for those of us (probably a very small number I hope) who got a bike with issues. Those of us who got a bike with issues are here at this clearinghouse to express said issues. Hence the title of the thread.

#384 ·
I personally don't see how expressing issues one may have with an SB 130 or SB 150 in the thread specifically titled " sb130 sb150 issues" is "getting out of hand". Please explain.

I'm stoked for those who got a bike without issues. That is how it should be. I'm bummed for those of us (probably a very small number I hope) who got a bike with issues. Those of us who got a bike with issues are here at this clearinghouse to express said issues. Hence the title of the thread.
thank you for interjecting some sanity, the "tribe" mentality was taking over. :thumbsup:

#727 ·
Having owned evil, ibis, and now yeti... i would have to agree that the yeti fan boys are pretty quick to attack on anyone who posts anything disparaging. Despite that i still got an sb130 but the tribe mentality put me off. The guys over at the evil and ibis threads were always helpful and took criticism in stride. Anyways... I will try and put this thread back on topic.

Ive recieved the DT protector from yeti today. Its a little curved which will help but it being glued on, it will eventually start peeling. I hope on their next bikes. They go with two screws and hard molded plastic giving more coverage. The artsy curves was necessary in order to keep the curvature on a piece of glued on rubber. The new design is about 2mm shorter in length and weighs 35g. The hard DT on the HD4 is 56g but is a bit longer held by 2 screws, super easy to clean and replace.

I'll be getting my 11-6 in a few weeks for some quality travel. Paired with the 160, its gonna be close to the sb150 capability. I got one circuit for flow trails and the 2nd circuit for DH. I bet its gonna kick ass.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

#760 ·
Admirable attempt to get the thread back on track.

Can you let me know how I would go about getting one? Are they free to owners (if not, what is the cost?), is this a resign going on newer bikes? I tried going back through the thread to find out more but reading all the crap on hear just made me angry!

Thanks.

#11 ·
When has Yeti not had some kind of problem with their bikes? I used to have a SB66 and we all know the issues with the chainstays and the lack of longevity of the Switch linkage. A mtb friend had a SB4.5 and had cracks form on his rear triangle. And isn't the SI link kind of finicky with maintenance? No bike brand is immune from problems, and I'd still buy one if the price was right since they perform really well and look awesome. I just hope that the warranty service matches the price tag considering the competition from other brands and the direct-to-consumer brands too.

#40 ·
Thanks to those for being candid about the issues. I am not seeing good results from this thread in general - I am out. Too many confirmations of bad service. Cost Premium products should come with at least a good, if not stellar, customer service record. Good luck to all, but I am patiently waiting on SC and the new 29 ers.

#277 ·
Personally knowing Streetdoctor, his problems were legit and the situation was no doubt shitty but thought it was relevant to offer a counterpoint that not all SB150's are flexy, tire rubbing machines. I can't offer an answer if his was defective or mine is a mythical unicorn but to assume that these bikes were mis-engineered, advertised or sold might be a bit soon until the sample size is larger.

#333 ·
These bushings can be off ( by point 5mm and the frame spacing may be also off by as much. Its not to blame on either one. If you pull up the sizes Fox makes, you will see how many are made and sizes differ by fractions. IMO, that's where the shock issue comes from. However no info on the flex of the swingarm.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

#335 ·
These bushings can be off by point 5mm and the frame spacing may be also off by as much. If you pull up the sizes Fox makes them, you will see how many are made and differ by fractions. IMO, that's where the shock issue comes from. However no info on the flext of the swingarm.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Look at that...I learned something and no one even argued or called anyone names.:thumbsup:

#352 ·
You must have the most patient shop loaded up with Timmy Horton's doubles doubles or you have no idea how far you're pushing it. Let's say the 2.5 WT doesn't fit and fitting a 2.5 WT is a deal breaker for your bike purchase. The tire is no longer new in package, it's been mounted, and may sell for less. Who covers that lost margin for the shop? I respect my shop's time and inventory and they respect me as a customer. I appreciate extra "effort" from a shop but don't expect them to mount up new parts so I can check for things like "stone" clearance. What's next, asking to break the factory seal and mount up a 160mm fork on an SB130 so you can verify a stated headtube angle?

I don't know Streetdoctor, it looks like I've probably been sitting at the top of BME stages after liasons with him, but maybe consider the context before calling somebody out directly. He lives in the front range of Colorado within a 20 minute drive of Yeti HQ and decided to jump in as an early adopter after the bike was announced. Why jump in early? Well, he's got about 2 months of riding time between SB150 delivery and snow and the first shipment of SB150's sold out quickly. If I was close to a boutique brand headquarters, had a passing relationship with the people that worked there, had limited riding season, and saw the bike I wanted to race on in 2019, I'd listen to their stated compatibility spec and go for it.

Sounds like you might've done differently but that doesn't justify you calling somebody out. Good times.

#353 ·
I take offense to that Timmy Ho's comment - they only load up on triple triple.

Dude, what's up with you guys mentioning your racing resume...I didn't realize I was in dialogue with high school students - my bad

Clearly, all points were made so no point in beating a dead horse.

Good times.

You must have the most patient shop loaded up with Timmy Horton's doubles doubles or you have no idea how far you're pushing it. Let's say the 2.5 WT doesn't fit and fitting a 2.5 WT is a deal breaker for your bike purchase. The tire is no longer new in package, it's been mounted, and may sell for less. Who covers that lost margin for the shop? I respect my shop's time and inventory and they respect me as a customer. I appreciate extra "effort" from a shop but don't expect them to mount up new parts so I can check for things like "stone" clearance. What's next, asking to break the factory seal and mount up a 160mm fork on an SB130 so you can verify a stated headtube angle?

I don't know Streetdoctor, it looks like I've probably been sitting at the top of BME stages after liasons with him, but maybe consider the context before calling somebody out directly. He lives in the front range of Colorado within a 20 minute drive of Yeti HQ and decided to jump in as an early adopter after the bike was announced. Why jump in early? Well, he's got about 2 months of riding time between SB150 delivery and snow and the first shipment of SB150's sold out quickly. If I was close to a boutique brand headquarters, had a passing relationship with the people that worked there, had limited riding season, and saw the bike I wanted to race on in 2019, I'd listen to their stated compatibility spec and go for it.

Sounds like you might've done differently but that doesn't justify you calling somebody out. Good times.

#442 ·
Hi all.

Here we have a saying for the tire clearance, "you must be able to fit your finger between the stays and the tire". I guess if yeti says a 2.4/2.5 tire is ok to be put in this bikes, they lie. There is no margin there.

Hope the issues get solved and I can get my sb130 next year.

#443 ·
Hi all.

Here we have a saying for the tire clearance, "you must be able to fit your finger between the stays and the tire". I guess if yeti says a 2.4/2.5 tire is ok to be put in this bikes, they lie. There is no margin there.

Hope the issues get solved and I can get my sb130 next year.
For reference a Hans Dampf 2.35 fits with a finger between the stays. I have not experienced rub yet. Schwalbe tires are generally bigger than maxxis.

#601 ·
It's instructive and I for one am glad to hear/read the issues - I'm interested not only in the actual product but the people who stand behind that product.

I happen to have a great LBS - but not everyone does. These experiences are valid data points in considering where to spend my money.

So thanks to SD and the others here that have shared their feedback good or bad.

#686 ·
How about we stick to the facts here boys and girls? I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to see the comments here be about USEFUL information. I could care less if the (brand x) riders on your trail shred or not, or if (brand x) riders are posers who use said bikes as fashion accessories. Sure as sh*t isn't going to affect MY purchase one bit.

All I care about is whether the bike rides as intended and if I can get upport from the manufacturer in a timely manner.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

#687 ·
How about we stick to the facts here boys and girls? I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to see the comments here be about USEFUL information. I could care less if the (brand x) riders on your trail shred or not, or if (brand x) riders are posers who use said bikes as fashion accessories. Sure as sh*t isn't going to affect MY purchase one bit.

All I care about is whether the bike rides as intended and if I can get upport from the manufacturer in a timely manner.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Well, I personally like to see the bikes being ridden to their potential or pushed to see where the boundaries lie.. That gives me a better sense of the capabilities of a potential purchase.. That is why I recommend checking out outdoor Gold and his informative reviews.. Same could also be said for mtb yum yum..

Whenever I see a review of a bike with some guy sauntering thought the woods on near flat single track I'm always left wondering about true capabilities and the point to where the bike is overwhelmed..

Gives one a better sense than just forum. Banter. Although the forums can be a good supplement to the reviews..

#810 ·
In comparison here's the stays of my Evil Following,Evil recommend "Maximum Rear Tire Size 29" x 2.4" (Varies By Brand)" on their site.
I can run 2.5 Aggressor with the following.
Yeti claim on their site that the sb150 can fit 2.5 but the stays on my frame are 1/4inch narrower then the following ...
Just out of curiosity I would like to see people posting pictures with a caliper or measuring tape just to see if there is a difference between each frame,I think that 1/16 difference will mean noting but if its 1/8 or 1/4 then something is def wrong. Aqua Teal Material property Gas Cylinder
Yellow Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part Bicycle tire Circle

#811 ·
In comparison here's the stays of my Evil Following,Evil recommend "Maximum Rear Tire Size 29" x 2.4" (Varies By Brand)" on their site.
I can run 2.5 Aggressor with the following.
Yeti claim on their site that the sb150 can fit 2.5 but the stays on my frame are 1/4inch narrower then the following ...
Just out of curiosity I would like to see people posting pictures with a caliper or measuring tape just to see if there is a difference between each frame,I think that 1/16 difference will mean noting but if its 1/8 or 1/4 then something is def wrong. View attachment 1236475 View attachment 1236476
I'd measure ID with a micrometer and I believe I posted photos like that somewhere in this thread? The consensus from the bikes I measure was it's rated for a 2.35 I believe. Ideally you should have 6mm clearance on each side minimum as industry standard.

#845 ·
For me as a rider I’ve never wanted nor cared for running anything larger than a 2.5” on the rear of any of my bikes as I don’t feel any performance gains for the way I ride.

I did try a 2.6” NN on my Ripmo and ther was rubbing and that bike states it has clearance for a 2.6” but clearly not without rub.

Take it for what it’s worth whether you want to believe anything I’ve written but just like all my previous posts before I’m trying to help any way I can because I love the way The new bikes ride.

#849 ·
Not a bad speculation. I bet they can find a lot more workers experienced with carbon layup in China & Taiwan around the factories, since that industry has been long established there. Factories with newer production processes might be in high demand getting booked up, and would be hard to accept if you have a matured design ready for manufacturing, to wait for a year before market launch, having marketing material ready months in advance, and racers wanting to ride them (and prying eyes reverse engineering it).

Vietnam is much better known for their textiles. Great place to have backpacks (Osprey), dresses, dress clothes, etc. made. I much prefer them over American made clothes, being a skinny guy. Perhaps they were optimistic that such skill should transfer over, minus the sewing. Doubt there's enough knowledgeable people to be looking over other peoples' shoulders, checking work. Would have to sacrifice production rates to have the process vets take a supervisory role, to ensure consistent/standard quality, when they could be leading the production rates doing it themselves. A new site with more up-to-date machinery and processes, vs chinese factories with old machinery that are reluctant to divest and change with the times to compete with the newer factories, competing on price point instead.

Gotta consider these guys are more doing it because it's a way of living to earn money, rather than because they care about the end product, which they likely can't afford on their salary unless they really saved up a while. You might think that they don't wanna lose their job, and work based off of merit, but you should consider when there's limited highly desirable positions, there's a high chance that there's corruption to keep control of them. Corruption such as giving positions to poorly qualified friends/relatives, etc. Would suck to discover that and be stuck with delays trying to find replacements, especially after you made obligations to fulfill orders on time or whatever, and keeping your trust/confidence levels high among your commercial partners.

80k for steel molds sounds like it's more for a relatively low volume operation, considering full carbon front and rear for a full size range. It's not like they only have 1 mold per size/part, considering the production volume they need to meet.

@rynomx Hate to derail the thread with an off-topic reply, but I couldn't resist. I'd be happily surprised if either of them tuned kinematics in different sizes based on rider CoGs changing. A taller rider has a taller CoG. What's 100% anti-squat or anti-rise for a size large rider, could be 80% for a taller rider, or 120% for a shorter rider, due to how it's based on the CoG height. If they keep the pivot points in the exact same location for each size, riders of different size/shape won't be getting the same power transfer feel.

Slope Pattern Line Colorfulness Bicycle frame

This could be the reason why really tall people feel like Intense bikes pedal so much crisper than other brands.

Just one of those things you have to demo yourself. Each bike is different. Turner, Ibis, etc. feel different. SB130 and SB150 feel different. SB150 in size M and size L feel different. Can't generalize. That's a question we all answer ourselves, and oftentimes people here answer with imagination, bias, faith, emotions, intuition, etc. so it's hard to get a grip on reality. So I am just emphasizing the reasons why it's best to test ride.

If anyone says that they compared SB150 to Ripmo and preferred one over the other, you have to think of every single variable to find a measurable value in that opinion. Was it a size M SB150 vs size L Ripmo? What spec? What do they usually ride? What terrain? How fast/fit? I'd go as far as to backing up my opinions with my BB-to-saddle height (690mm)... this figure is like a kosher coarse grain of sea salt from the Mediterranean. This is more of a specific taste over other grains of salt people used to interpret a vast world of opinions. xD

#850 ·
Not a bad speculation. I bet they can find a lot more workers experienced with carbon layup in China & Taiwan around the factories, since that industry has been long established there. Factories with newer production processes might be in high demand getting booked up, and would be hard to accept if you have a matured design ready for manufacturing, to wait for a year before market launch, having marketing material ready months in advance, and racers wanting to ride them (and prying eyes reverse engineering it).

Vietnam is much better known for their textiles. Great place to have backpacks (Osprey), dresses, dress clothes, etc. made. I much prefer them over American made clothes, being a skinny guy. Perhaps they were optimistic that such skill should transfer over, minus the sewing. Doubt there's enough knowledgeable people to be looking over other peoples' shoulders, checking work. Would have to sacrifice production rates to have the process vets take a supervisory role, to ensure consistent/standard quality, when they could be leading the production rates doing it themselves. A new site with more up-to-date machinery and processes, vs chinese factories with old machinery that are reluctant to divest and change with the times to compete with the newer factories, competing on price point instead.

Gotta consider these guys are more doing it because it's a way of living to earn money, rather than because they care about the end product, which they likely can't afford on their salary unless they really saved up a while. You might think that they don't wanna lose their job, and work based off of merit, but you should consider when there's limited highly desirable positions, there's a high chance that there's corruption to keep control of them. Corruption such as giving positions to poorly qualified friends/relatives, etc. Would suck to discover that and be stuck with delays trying to find replacements, especially after you made obligations to fulfill orders on time or whatever, and keeping your trust/confidence levels high among your commercial partners.

80k for steel molds sounds like it's more for a relatively low volume operation, considering full carbon front and rear for a full size range. It's not like they only have 1 mold per size/part, considering the production volume they need to meet.

@rynomx Hate to derail the thread with an off-topic reply, but I couldn't resist. I'd be happily surprised if either of them tuned kinematics in different sizes based on rider CoGs changing. A taller rider has a taller CoG. What's 100% anti-squat or anti-rise for a size large rider, could be 80% for a taller rider, or 120% for a shorter rider, due to how it's based on the CoG height. If they keep the pivot points in the exact same location for each size, riders of different size/shape won't be getting the same power transfer feel.

View attachment 1236697

This could be the reason why really tall people feel like Intense bikes pedal so much crisper than other brands.

Just one of those things you have to demo yourself. Each bike is different. Turner, Ibis, etc. feel different. SB130 and SB150 feel different. SB150 in size M and size L feel different. Can't generalize. That's a question we all answer ourselves, and oftentimes people here answer with imagination, bias, faith, emotions, intuition, etc. so it's hard to get a grip on reality. So I am just emphasizing the reasons why it's best to test ride.

If anyone says that they compared SB150 to Ripmo and preferred one over the other, you have to think of every single variable to find a measurable value in that opinion. Was it a size M SB150 vs size L Ripmo? What spec? What do they usually ride? What terrain? How fast/fit? I'd go as far as to backing up my opinions with my BB-to-saddle height (690mm)... this figure is like a kosher coarse grain of sea salt from the Mediterranean. This is more of a specific taste over other grains of salt people used to interpret a vast world of opinions. xD
Great post. I know that Niner had been using a factory in Vietnam as far back as 2010 so Vietnam is hardly an infant in the carbon mountain bike manufacturing game though definitely not at it as long as China and Taiwan.

#851 ·
Hard to compare since my ibis bikes were 27.5 and the sb130 is a 29er. Ive found the ibis was more supple and the yeti more harsh. I'd guess the yeti is better at putting the power down with the ibis better and hitting chunky trails. Again, not really a fair comparison as both bikes are very different in wheel size, geometry, and travel.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

#853 ·
Well I pulled the back wheel off to measure the width of the cs and there it was, a rub mark after 2 days of riding. Not a dealbreaker for me. Looking at my slash frame I've got some rub marks there too. The bike doesn't feel flexy when I ride it at all (6'2/190 for reference) and I'm really digging the bike in all other aspects but it is narrow and can rub with a 2.4wt. I'll probably just run a DD 2.3. Bicycle part Orange Bicycle Bicycle drivetrain part Bicycle frame
Engineering Machine

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.