Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

new Monocog- cheap SS 29er

4K views 27 replies 18 participants last post by  CougarSlayer 
#1 ·
I don't know how I missed this, but Redline brought the Cog back. those 450 mm chainstays get a big, fat NO from me, but it is a good option for a new rider.

Monocog | Redline Bicycles

#3 ·
Good, new stock for riders wanting to try SS only to not like it and sell on CL for cheap. I'll be waiting to pick one up in a few years, lol!

Only real bummer I see is a straight head tube, and maybe rear tire clearance, hard to see if there's room for a 2.5 or 2.6.

#16 ·
Good to see a true classic revived!

Still love my '08 'Cog.

- tektro mechanical disks
They will probably stop you in time. Even the Avid SD7 V's on my Monocog never disappointed me. I don't brake a lot around here anyway.

- 26.8 seat post
Classic monocog feature! :cool:

- 740 bars called 'wide'
Just about the perfect width for an XC SS. It's not a full squishy enduro machine eh.

- 'fully rigid' used in the description
'With 1 analog gear!'

Gotta have it.
If I didn't have one already, I might very well want one.

#18 · (Edited)
Look who's back!

Very cool. I hope Redline makes a resurgence and disrupts the trendy, overly expensive steel 29er market. They were maybe just too ahead of the curve before?

Anyway, to the Moncog! I like the color, the 40mm stem and 740mm bars, and the 24mm spindle crank--all big improvements. Though I they may have slackened it too much; I'd prefer (69 or 71). I'll have to try it.. Of course this all depends on the fork length-- anyone see what the axle to crown measurement is for the fork? That said, I guess the regular Monocog was always a bruiser (strong and heavy), made to slam down the Mtn or an 8 stair. Now, with that new geo, it looks like it will do just that better and in style... Cool!

Also, it'd be encouraging to hear they can fit a 2.6" in the rear, especially since the chain stays are longish, they should be able to do it.

Summary: Excellent improvements and great looks. For the coin, this is a very cool bike!
That said, this appears to be a less-expensive but "dated" version of the new Kona Unit which is very Moncogesque: single speed, paragon-type sliders, qr hubs, steel, 473mm ATC fork. The new Unit is almost the "Flight" version of this generation monocog frame (what do you think?).. Note the Unit is $400 more and for that you get a (I'd bet) lighter, Reynolds 520 frame, 31.8 seatpost, paragon dropouts, clearance fit 27+ and 29+).
Anyway, the new monocog looks like a great bike. I purchased a Monocog Flight for my first bike and if I were a young pup today looking for a first bike, I'd be happy to pick up one of these babies! I hope to see many of them around and get to ride one. Also, I too have my $250 ready! :)

*My Monocog Monologue*:
The '08 Flight with a 100mm Reba and a 2.6"/2.4" front and rear, respectively, is still my main rig here in rugged Tucson. It is like a sharp knife compared to all of the increasingly long swords that fill the bike news. The Flight is Light, nimble, and deadly especially in tight quarters and hairy situations... BRING BACK THE FLIGHT and have a slightly updated nimble geo-- maybe just a slightly longer reach than the old version (keeping stand over low), tire clearance for 2.6", maybe 69-70 deg HTA. The closer the front wheel is to ones toes, the better that baby will climb! Even the Unit is a little too long.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention, mack_turtle. I've been hoping for this day...
It has begun!
~BigBMX

#24 ·
I have a 2015 aluminum Monocog. Carbon fork, tapered carbon fork with thru axle.they only made it in 15, then, as most of you know, stopped producing SS and CX bikes completely. Climbs and accelerates like a cat with turpentine on it's ass!
That bike should be resurrected, with a geo tweak, ideally. Although as a whole, it's pretty spot on!

#25 ·
I don't know how I missed this, but Redline brought the Cog back. those 450 mm chainstays get a big, fat NO from me, but it is a good option for a new rider.

Monocog | Redline Bicycles
Those are horizontal dropouts, so I don't know where they got 450mm from.

I have an old one, and I have it at 430 ish (tire is right against the seat tube, and barely clears the stays

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.