Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

$1500ish to spend, what to buy?

6K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  TimberjackJG 
#1 · (Edited)
I keep running in circles.... I started out looking at hardtails and now I have realized that a FS is really what I'll need for the stuff i want to ride (MIND CHANGED, BACK TO A HARDTAIL...AGAIN). Our local ski hill has been expanding their Gravity Trails as well as many around my area and a IMBA Gold Class Ride Center (Duluth, MN) just an hour away.

I've been out of the bike game for 4 years and used to just ride single track on a Trek 4300. It "worked." I'm a big guy at 6'3" and 290 (biking is a new weight loss plan.) I won't be doing any crazy jumps or drops, but will have some rocky/stumpy trails.

My wish list is pretty simple....

1x drivetrain with NX/Deore or better
Air front
27.5+
Hydraulic Disks
Something I won't feel the need to upgrade right away.

So far I have looked at a ton of bikes and i'm just going in circles now.... Where would you go? Any other Recommendations?

I've looked at the following...
Marin Hawk Hill/Rift Zone
Fezzari Wiki Peak
Diamondback Atroz 3
GT Verb Expert
Motobecane Hal5

See less See more
#6 ·
I went and rode a Large 18' Hawk Hill 1 again today around teh parking lot and in a back little dirt lot the LBS has. I think it's going to be the one..... But i have to find an XL, they may have found one otherwise ill have to reevaluate for a 19.

Many of todays bikes are good climbers even with 150mm of travel so that's what I was looking for. I chose 27.5 X 2.5 (not a '+' size) running tubeless which provides great traction but more maneuverability with XL frame size than I would with 29" or '+' size tires. If I was doing faster, less tight terrain I would consider 29. I buy direct vs bikeshop and recent 2018 Kona 153 Process AL/DL is most expensive bike I've ever had (paid $2300...list $3600).

Don't overlook the geo of new bikes which is totally different...slacker front is great for technical rockgardens and super fun on downhills. Provides more confidence and less worry of boinking and going OTB into a pile of rocks.

1X drivetrain is awesome but I'm not a GX12 Eagle lover due to repeated reliability issues. Cage hangs very low and is prone to picking up debris which trashes cage assy. I don't need 12spd so I'm moving to 1X11 shimano when my next Eagle derailleur fails.

Lots of choices...check Clyde section. Many big guys share what works for them.
I've poked around the Clyde section, going to go to Duluth tomorrow and take a look at a few other but i think the HH is going to be the one. Used is just hard to find around me unless i buy online.

#5 ·
Many of todays bikes are good climbers even with 150mm of travel so that's what I was looking for. I chose 27.5 X 2.5 (not a '+' size) running tubeless which provides great traction but more maneuverability with XL frame size than I would with 29" or '+' size tires. If I was doing faster, less tight terrain I would consider 29. I buy direct vs bikeshop and recent 2018 Kona 153 Process AL/DL is most expensive bike I've ever had (paid $2300...list $3600).

Don't overlook the geo of new bikes which is totally different...slacker front is great for technical rockgardens and super fun on downhills. Provides more confidence and less worry of boinking and going OTB into a pile of rocks.

1X drivetrain is awesome but I'm not a GX12 Eagle lover due to repeated reliability issues. Cage hangs very low and is prone to picking up debris which trashes cage assy. I don't need 12spd so I'm moving to 1X11 shimano when my next Eagle derailleur fails.

Lots of choices...check Clyde section. Many big guys share what works for them.

#7 ·
M

Good choice. I can't understand how almost all new complete bikes come with SRAM 12 spd. Compared to Shimano 1X11, it's practically useless. One tiny little rock strike, and that derailleur is done. Actually, I'm convinced it doesn't even take an actual strike, if a rock merely looks at it wrong it will self destruct. But here we are, with many $9K dollar Enduro type bikes rocking a dainty little derailleur that cannot stand up to actual aggressive riding.

Throw on Shimano 1X11 with 11-46 Cassette, and life will be good. You'll be so happy, which in turn will make your wife really happy to see you so happy. And when the wife is happy, everyone is happy.

Keep with SRAM 1X12, and life will be bad. You'll be so sad, which in turn will make your wife sad to see you so sad. Then she'll leave you, and pretty much clean you out in process. You'll be a broken man, with nothing left to show but a broken derailleur. But, at least you'll still have an overpriced SRAM cassette that you can sit and look at.

#8 ·
I love my HH1. I'm 5'10" 165 lbs and ride a Medium. The 29ers that I've ridden (Giant Trance, Rift Zone, Specialized Camber) are all great bikes but they all feel big for me - but may scale well to a taller person.

Have you ridden a Rift Zone? I think it's about $50-100 more than the HH1 but it might be the ticket. It is basically the exact same bike with 29" wheels.

Otherwise the HH1 is a great choice and there are some compelling deals out there on '18s now.

#11 · (Edited)
Yeah, Rift Zones are scarce around here too. There are a few small Marin dealers here besides Performance. I think they pretty much sell them as soon as they arrive in the store and are built - most never even make it to the floor.

The Hawk Hills are selling pretty well here too but at least there are a few out there in shops to demo. I got mine back in April and the dealer I bought it from had one '18 medium in the box stashed in the far back of the store. It was the only medium I could find anywhere in the area at the time.

I think you will be very happy with the HH1. I love mine. I've ridden it 2-3 times a week for the last 4 months or so. I expect it to hold up well for the next few years at that rate - it seems pretty solid.

I just had the guy I bought it from true up and re-balance the spokes on both front and rear. The wheels weren't out of true by much at all (mostly just settling and a couple of minor crashes) but he went ahead and made sure that everything was tight and straight. He re-packed the bearings too - I usually do that sort of maintenance but he offered to do it for $15 so I let him.

#20 ·
No, you would be fine on a hardtail. I've started on a hardtail and been riding a few different ones for the last couple years. I've had my 27.5+ hardtail on bikepacking trips, fast trail rides, and even a lift served downhill park. It's not quite as fast as full suspension bikes when things are really gnarly but for 90% of my riding (which is single track parks) I can easily hang with the full suspension guys and hit all the same jumps. Just takes a little more work.

YES! You will get so much more bike for $1500 with a hardtail than you will with a full suspension bike. I would recommend a Surly Karate Monkey or Marin Pine Mountain for your money but most modern hardtails with 27.5+ tires, 1x drivetrain, good brakes, and a 69* or slacker head tube angle will be an absolute riot on the trail.

#22 ·
The Timberjack is definitely an excellent choice that I forgot to add in.

I just re-read your first post and noticed that 27.5+ was one of your requirements. My experience has been that that tire choice is an excellent one if you are planning on going the route of a hardtail. On the other hand if you end up going with full suspension definitely just go 29er regular tires. 27.5+ has its place on a hardtail so you have a little bit of squish in the rear but on a full suspension bike you only get the downsides of plus tires: heavy rubber, less efficient, limited tire choices, and lack of grip in the wet. That's coming from a hardcore plus hardtail guy but you gotta know your tires limitations.

#23 ·
Ordered a Salsa Timberjack GX1 in XL from REI today! I also ordered the BrandX Ascend Dropper from Chain reaction cycles and will be getting some Raceface Chester Pedals (What color should I get?)

Need to find a good waterbottle holder, get my Oh S#it bag together and I should be good to go!

#24 ·
I love my marin B17. Riding a 27.5+ full suspension is like riding a lazyboy chair down the trail. Destroys anything in its path. Not fast uphill....compared to a hardtail or xc bike....but i am not racing. Although the nobby nic’s are not the greatest tire for where i ride.....looking for rekons or rocket rons or similar.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.